Pot-pourri Sunday XIV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot-pourri Sunday XIV

I've written of the fact that all pain is neurogenic, a complaint of pain is complex (and the reason why so many different modalities "work"), we need a "team" to deal with painful complaint and the ideas that PTs are relegated to "strengthening" only (this gave rise to efficiency).

My number of views have plummeted.
    Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 06-05-2018, 04:07 PM.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Hi Barrett
    Unfortunately it seems like there's not a whole lot of actual discussion on SS anymore, compared with a few years ago. There must be PTs with important thoughts to share though.

Comment

FB seems to have changed or eliminated any discussion. Differing views followed by an argument for the position you've taken is required.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I agree with Gilbert, there's not much discussion here anymore. Facebook may be partially to blame, but it seems to me that for the last few years SomaSimple has mostly been dominated by one person's posts. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's why I don't log on more often than every 6 months, and why I can't recommend it to colleagues anymore. I've always gotten a lot out of your posts, Barrett.
        Patrick Septon, P.T.

"In the high country of the mind one has to become adjusted to the thinner air of uncertainty..." -Robert M. Pirsig

Comment

I've always encouraged other writers, but most haven't taken me up on it. I grew silent eventually, and I certainly don't write much. We've been overwhelmed by social media and SS isn't part of that. I remember you Patrick and we'll always have that terrible, well, interesing hotel in New York.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Oh for the good old days when we could have a lively argument on Somasimple...

now it's like "Where is everybody? Diane? Jason? anyone here?..."

I'll add my appreciation for Barrett's writing, even if I don't always follow a lot of the cultural references.

And thank you Jo for the useful information you post; I just wish there were more different voices and viewpoints so that more active discussion would take place. In the past it made for very entertaining (and educational) reading and was well worth checking daily!

Comment

I really miss the discussion here at SS. Where did everyone go? I tend to tune into twitter these days but a true discussion to enhance in depth learning and introspection is near impossible in that environment/

Comment

When I initially joined SS it was a place many feared. That's why I liked it so much. The discussions were deep, challenging and thought provoking. The participation has plummeted. I'd bet much is due to twitter and facebook. I think some is due to the difficult navigation of this place. People want easy access. SS does not have that. One look upon visiting and people run. I can speak for multiple people that've come to the home page only to comment on how messy it looked. It's not eye friendly and easy to use.
                "The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer."

Comment

• Jo Bowyer
                  Jo Bowyer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I find the new set up much more difficult to navigate and I haven't been able to make a donation either since the change, as I keep getting directed to the French version of PayPal

My personal strategy is to stay off FB and Twitter as much as possible....does not work for everybody...

Comment

I havent been on this site for years. SS and RE help shape me as a therapist. It's sad to see the lack of activity, but nice to see some regulars still here. I have a young PT that I am going to refer here. While the conversation may not be what it was the information here is still to valuable not to.

Comment

Hi Chocco
                    I agree about the enduring value of the information here. I have personally learned so much.
                    Hope to see more activity here again!

Comment

I don't know. I wrote a daily blog post for about eight years. Discussion is pretty much gone as is any activity here. When you play a team with a "monster" on it, well....
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Well, Barrett, you have persisted in writing, and that is appreciated!

I'd still hold out hope that there will be thoughtful discussion here in the future. I am convinced that there must still be a lot of therapists who struggle with the bigger questions of what we are doing and why we are doing it...

Comment

My son's recent experience with a therapist of some sort indicated otherwise. His "posture" was blamed. Need I say more?
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Nope.
                            But the fact that there is a lack of thoughtfulness in our profession doesn't mean there aren't SOME thoughtful individuals.
                            It used to be very educational to read the conversations of even a few very articulate, smart, and passionate therapists here on SS.

Comment

Working...
                            X