Pot-pourri Sunday IV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot-pourri Sunday IV

I've tried twice to post some thoughts on Sunday today with no luck. I'll persist.

I notice that various aspects of my life have been affected by social media. Facebook, for instance, has had an enormous affect upon me. Has it you?
    Barrett L. Dorko

I never use facebook, just don't like the fact it's collecting all sorts of info and it seems
    it has way to many biased users (for my likings)

Marcel

"Evolution is a tinkerer not an engineer" F.Jacob
    "Without imperfection neither you nor I would exist" Stephen Hawking

Comment

Marcel,

I acknowledge I'm addicted to several things, not all of them I'll reveal here, as if anyone would. Your ability to justify a LACK of Facebook following is something I admire. I admire not being addicted to some things. The nature of addiction itself is interesting to me. How addictive something is also interests me.

"Observational" comedians are usually funny, but that depends upon their timing.

The number of people "addicted" to social media is enormous. Watch what people are looking at in any waiting room.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

There was a news report about some looking at their phones (social media, probably) instead of for traffic. I laughed, but many things make me laugh.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I find a rather weird interest in going through some of the silly trivia and exotic drama that FB fills itself with. But I get tired of the poor literacy that appears constantly and endless, provocative ads....but that is me. Rather fussy - and I think: Who really wants to know about what some girl is doing with her hair, her boyfriend, her dog, her nails??? but that is just me. It is, I think, a window into how people behave and communicate on line,I guess.......

Comment

Barrett,

Now you mention it, last week there was a "newsflash" about how sometimes in a political debate almost all politicians who should be listening were looking at their phones.
            This particular "addiction" to ones phone is not without danger, almost everywhere here people on bikes watch a phone, some have fatal accidents.

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

There's got to be something funny in there somewhere. As is often said, "It's all fun and games until some one gets their eye put out."
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Cervical Cell-ulitis is lurking

:

cell-phone-addiction-spine-problems.jpg
                Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

I thought of several funny lines. All of them terrible.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Perhaps Nari's comment above closely mimics the way humans talk. Social media commonly sounds like this.

No wonder it's addictive.
                    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I've heard it said that marketers think two different ways of a product - "It's addictive, or it's addictive." The second is said with delight. True or apocryphal or not, what is addiction about?
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Okay, I'll cop to two of my addictions - screens and writing. That's safe enough.

Anyone else?
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

what is addiction about?
                          Depending on what addiction you mean and in howfar it affects the so called "addictive" person.

In general I'd say it's about many things, like all (human) behavior when you "examine" it close enough the "multifaceted" nature that underpins it is extremely complicated.
                          Things like biology, psychology, culture and environment to name a few. Of course when you reffer to a "benign addiction" like writing I guess it's safe to say that, that is not an addiction.
                          Last edited by marcel; 13-11-2017, 02:41 PM.
                          Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

In your view, is any actual action toward the authentic expression of pain, by a fellow human being, justified by examination?
                            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,

I don't think so, to justify any action is something different than trying to understand behavior.

In this older article "the brain on trial" https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/07/the-brain-on-trial/308520/
                              (it's a bit long but the first part about "C.Whitman and later on about parkinson patients who turned into pathological gamblers is illustrative; I hope) the author points at some interesting facts that highlight a difference in justifing (in this case abnormal) action and understanding through examination.
                              Marcel

Comment

• marcel
                                marcel commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I think with: "any action" you ment action that can be good/not so good or even worse.
                                Am I correct?
                            Working...
                            X