Broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken

It appears the premise of therapy (well, physical therapy) is broken. I've written of premise in the past, but that seems not to have penetrated as far as I had anticipated. In fact any use of premise or defense (to say nothing of the scientific method or evidence) has been absent from any form of therapy for a while. Maybe they weren't there in my youth. I suspect they weren't but I didn't notice.

I've an appreciation for fantasy and science fiction. Not that I've read a lot. Such writers speculate and they are often wrong, but occasionally they see things in the future that turn out to be the case. Their writing ends up being relevant and well-read. They're often dead by then, but they are thought prescient. All of their work isn't considered, just the relevant part.
    Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 10-10-2017, 02:40 PM.
    Barrett L. Dorko

"It'd be a real shame..." is a phrase that goes through my head often. I've seen enough of The Sopranos and dealt with bullies in my life to understand the power of such a statement. It strikes fear, and, unless someone acts accordingly, the fear it evokes might rule behavior. I don't know that fear provokes certain behavior, but I'm pretty sure it does. The loss of money and standing in the profession evokes certain behaviors.
    Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 10-10-2017, 11:48 PM.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Making others fear what might happen to them if they speak of therapy's premise or defend what they do is a way of shaping behavior. I know I've been fearful of speaking because I might lose my job. Imagine that.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Keep it simple.

1. Ask the client where it hurts
        2. Poke around til you find the sore spot
        3. Prod, rub, needle, crack (whatever you like, or make up your own treatment)
        4. Learn how to be yourself and stop trying to act professionally

Ain't broken. Number 4 is something that can take lifetimes to master, but even just a small degree of congruence will suffice.

You honestly don't need training to do it. Academics think you need a degree, but most of them don't do any clinical work, so they wouldn't know.

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about most of the time.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
          X