Science Sunday I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Sunday I

We all fall. I've fallen. Falls are not planned. They might be inevitable, but they might be avoided for some period of time. Helping another up seems to be part of being human. I seem not to be able to avoid that.

Me
    The purpose of science is not to prove things, but to make sense of things. There is a lot science doesn't "know," but if it's within it's purview, it's probably working on it.

Me, after reading this, watching a lot of screens, thinking a lot, discussing some things, living my life and writing a lot.
    I am first and foremost a scientist.

Me, said at the beginning of most courses.
    I'm not sorry I said all of this, and people reacted to what I say in various ways. I will say that I've been strongly influenced by who I've heard and read and I've observed. Who hasn't? I'm a human raised in Ohio.

I may have mentioned that.

My contention is that "science" is not as powerful as some other aspects of life as it surrounds us. What we're surrounded by is often confusing.

Perhaps you'd agree. Maybe not.
    Barrett L. Dorko

I'm thinking that advertising is remarkably powerful. More powerful than, say, science.

I can think of several examples. Can you?
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Has there been any instances where an advertisement has overwhelmed (by it's sheer power) something you knew had been shown otherwise?
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

We all fall. I've fallen. Falls are not planned. They might be inevitable, but they might be avoided for some period of time. Helping another up seems to be part of being human. I seem not to be able to avoid that.

Hi Barrett!

This observation made me think about football, where one goal may be to get someone down on the turf to avoid forward progress, but once a player is on the ground, think how often we see his opponent lend him a hand to help him up.

Ever since first reading A Separate Peace in high school back in the mid 60's, I have often used the term "screwy" relative to anything that, for whatever reason, strikes me as either odd or doesn't make much sense. I like when Finny, who had just unofficially broken the school swim record-- and didn't seem to care about trying it again to make it official--explained his position by saying, "Swimming in pools is screwy, anyway."

I think we are alike in that passages that we've read in the past seem to stick with us forever. Maybe a lot of folks have that similar experience.

Comment

Ken,

Do you know what pro football player was famous for helping his opponents up?

Thank you for this.

Can you think of when advertising has displayed its power? I can think of several that I'm aware of. Of course, I'm not aware of everything.

Has anyone else been swayed by advertising?
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

The great defensive tackle of LA Rams Merlin Olson, had the reputation of "extend a hand to help up opponents", (para. 8 pg 148).

https://books.google.com/books?id=bl...onents&f=false

Comment

I read of Big Daddy Lipscom doing this. Of course, the Browns played the Steelers, so there's that.

smith,

Any thoughts on the relative power of findings?
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

This is a long segment, but it does in a unique way address the power of image. You will get Tom's point after the first few minutes. Must we all "look" a certain way to be considered someone who can offer us good expertise? Is appearance part of the power of advertising?

[YT]wPH7RbeLst4[/YT]

Comment

Image is everything

Andre Agassi
                  The tennis player caught a lot of flack for saying this many years ago. It was in a commercial.

Professions that depend upon "looks" (including those given others) are more likely to be assumed to know what they're doing.

It's hard to read another's mind though.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

For your information, "Image is everything" was a line written for Agassi in a remarkably successful Canon commercial in 1990.

There's an interesting article here.
                    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

It has long been my contention that therapy has abandoned the scientific method in an effort to find some method to reduce pain and, understandably, make money.

This has led to the plethora of "techniques" taught, sold and used by the many therapists out there. The "path of method" taken by many has led the therapy community has "worked" in various ways, but it has veered from what might be discovered by researchers.

An interesting article here points out that falsehoods and lies (I've written of the distinction recently) are being perpetuated when what could possibly happen is forgotten or "swept under the rug."

My primary problem with an "evidence-based" approach to any procedure is in here. I'm certainly not the first to say this.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
                        The tennis player caught a lot of flack for saying this many years ago. It was in a commercial.

Professions that depend upon "looks" (including those given others) are more likely to be assumed to know what they're doing.

It's hard to read another's mind though.
                        A very popular and well regarded strength coach uses looks to evaluate physical performance of elite soccer players: The Fastest Way to Improve the Quality of Play in Football.
                        Registered osteopath
                        Registered personal trainer
                        http://twitter.com/NickEfthimiou

Comment

Still, those you make their living "being seen" know that their looks can make or break them. Despite the fact that we know better and that we learned long ago that what we see is not what's actually there we can't help but look up when the door is opened.

It stands to reason that using this (as is commonly done in Simple Contact) simple human tendency can be defended with research. Of course, it's not all that can be done or taught.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
                            Still, those you make their living "being seen" know that their looks can make or break them. Despite the fact that we know better and that we learned long ago that what we see is not what's actually there we can't help but look up when the door is opened.

It stands to reason that using this (as is commonly done in Simple Contact) simple human tendency can be defended with research. Of course, it's not all that can be done or taught.
                            Of course, looks definitely help.

Ronaldo is the most marketable player in the game because of his ability and appearance.

Rooney has done very well out of the sport, but his marketability likely relates to him being a prominent English player at the biggest English club. His face isn't a traditional billboard face.
                            Registered osteopath
                            Registered personal trainer
                            http://twitter.com/NickEfthimiou

Comment

Working...
                            X