No announcement yet.

Falsehood and Lie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I don't know" remains a problematic answer to many questions. "In science, all knowledge is provisional," is something I've repeated many, many times. I don't think I made it up. Einstein, after all, didn't show that Newton was wrong, one thing he did was show that gravity was affected by mass. It took the procession of Mercury (seen in a total eclipse) to show Einstein was less wrong. Maybe someone will build upon this eventually.

I may have mentioned that there's a lot I'm ignorant of. I can fake as if I know something about them. This is troublesome at times.

"Knowing" about how the body works is something therapists are supposed to "know" about. Often it's full of what seems to be known is "believed" by whatever the therapist was taught.

This varies, but defending what is done or said would solve the problem. Defense requires questioning and discussion - both of which are frowned upon.

There's a difference between telling a lie and telling a falsehood. To me, it has to do with what is "believed."
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

When someone no longer believes that what we (well, I) have defined as a falsehood but tells others anyway, they have lied and become a salesperson or sociopath. There's probably some spectrum there.

Thoughts?
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I've said that there's a spectrum from salesmanship to sociopathy and many object to this. I understand.

To some extent, salesmanship turns out to be sociopathy only when the salesman (I assume you understand my use of the formal "man" here) moves from falsehood to lie. My father was a driver/salesman for a local dairy for many years. He handled his "sales" as a "pitchman," lining up the ice cream and topping each with whipped cream (his primary product) and asking each owner to tell him which tasted best. Of course, his real whipped cream tasted better. It didn't hurt that he mentioned his competitor sold something he characterized as a toxic substance. He was a dependent upon sales after all.

There's more to this, but I want only to make this point: Moving from falsehood to lie requires what someone "believes." I am asking for defense and that requires asking questions.

That takes some time and study.
        Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 15-06-2017, 01:12 PM.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
        X