• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no word from those now metaphorically "in the hot air baloon."
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,
      I provided a link to your essay on abdutive reasoning in a post I made in a discussion thread for an online class I'm currently taking. The topic of the thread is "Online Exploration" based on an article by a young journalism graduate student, who is making recommendations to the instructors of today's college students.

I referenced your essay because I don't think this type of thinking is promoted in education in general, and certainly not in PT school. Yet, today's students are uniquely and amply equipped with tools for exploration and gaining useful knowledge through the internet.

There's so much knowledge available, yet so little reasoning being done to come up with creative solutions and better explanations. How would you promote abductive reasoning among these tech savvy students of today?
      John Ware, PT
      Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
      "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
      “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
      be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

You're right John. There's a great deal of difference between acquisition of knowledge and the reasoning that should precede its use.

I have found that abductive reasoning requires that the instructor ask questions. In short order you become Socratic. Then the class wants you to die.

I'm having trouble getting past that last part.

Since we wouldn't just die during the dry needling bit, those who were questioned simply decided to float away.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
        X