Bitten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten

It’s been said that some of the most popular tunes on the radio in the 90s were popular because they were the loudest. Auto-Tunes shouldn’t be criticized because it is unnatural. Heck, recording itself is an illusion. It should be criticized because it places limits on authentic human expression.

From a Studio 360 podcast
    As things go, our ideas and biases toward simplicity and subtlety here at Soma Simple aren’t anywhere near as popular as the methods of management described in the colorful brochures I see in the mail.

To me, this is a reflection of our culture’s tendency to attend to that which is charismatic and compelling, or, because someone we admire is in favor of it. We give in to that which “grabs” us and our resistance has usually been diminished over the course of time and travail.

Still, our tendency to be human endures, even in the face of a culture that would prefer we become robotic, thoughtless and easily manipulated by marketing forces. Sometimes “sound bites” are exposed for what they may be; unfair and out of context.

We are “grabbed,” “compelled” or “bitten” by that which is sudden and unexpected. At the same time, it’s important that such a thing not threaten us. We want to be grasped, but grasped gently.

Those of us who treat patients in pain know this. Don’t we?
    Barrett L. Dorko

Over 70 views in the first three hours.

Think we might be grabbing someone?
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

What ideas/methods "bit" you? Why?
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Banal within this context but
        When the realisation broke that pain is in the brain - yeah I knew that is where it was but I had not grasped what that meant. It was a revelation a gamechanger.

It still is

ANdy
        "Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Comment

When Adriaan Louw shared what David Butler would say about chronic pain patients needing to understand pain was in the brain. This contextual shift had to happen in the "marrow of their bones" to help them the most. I realized I first needed to understand this to the depth of the "marrow of my bones" before I could help a patient.
          Kory Zimney, PT, DPT

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei

Comment

Now we're getting somewhere. Let's compile a long list.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

The idea that bit me the deepest and has latched on ever since, was embryology, understanding the radical difference between ectoderm (agent, that which builds everything) and mesoderm (puppet, that which is built, to add leverage for agent) and how that plays out in each human organism consistently.
              Diane
              www.dermoneuromodulation.com
              SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
              HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
              Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
              @PainPhysiosCan
              WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
              @WCPTPTPN
              Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I'm loving this.

Don't you see a list of teaching opportunities here?

I've been bitten a few times, often by people posting here. Well, not actually, but you know what I mean.

This picture from Breig's text burned itself into my brain circa 1980.
                Attached Files
                Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I was first bit by Peter O'Sullivan, in the space of a day he stopped me messing about with abdominal muscles and made me see muscles as a defence mechanism.

There have been several game changers since.
                  Dave

Comment

I was first bitten on an explain pain course by Lorimer in 2008. Around the same time, I was treating a patient who's LBP would increase when she even imagined bending forward, that also got me. It would take another two years before I really understood his message and joining here really helped address the thoughts that kept pulling me back across the chasm so I could finally cross it.

Comment

I was bitten back in 1991 when David Butler did a two day workshop with the hospital team. Despite the fact no-one actually took much notice of him (he doesn't think muscles are as important as nerves..huh?) I was bitten halfway through day1.

The next bite came in 2005 with Barrett; it clinched the deal.

It all made such good sense.

Nari

Comment

Nari,

I'm very pleased to hear that I "grabbed" you. The Nanaimo course 7 years ago was a turning point for me, and the fact that you and Luke came from Australia both inspired and scared the living bejesus out of me.

I think of this when contemplating my enormous failure to "grab" any co-workers since, and wonder what it is about them (or me) that is different.
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

A 5 day work shop by Moshe Feldenkrais,May,1981, is probably the most significant for me. I experienced a fundamental change in comfort and mobility without effort. Dorko of course has left a permanent scar as well. Gil

Comment

Consciousness.

Comment

For me there were a lot of nibbles over the years that maybe prepared me to be bitten if that makes sense.

The reading The Brain that Changes Itself started a larger amount of activity. Then I would have to say reading Paul Ingraham's article on saveyourself.ca about stretching when I was researching some relevant stretching science. His article started blowing things apart that I had held as important. Then I found Body in Mind and Jason Silvernail's article MuscleHeads...JointHeads...etc.

Amazing that I read Jason's article just about a year ago from now.

Somehow I have gotten joy out of having ideas I hold dear blown apart. Maybe it is because I feel I will get closer to the truth than others and it motivates me in a competitive sort of way.
                              Byron Selorme -SomaSimpleton and Science Based Yoga Educator
                              Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                              X