No announcement yet.

Speechless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the Carol Burnett show. YouTube to the rescue for those who don't know the reference.

Part 1

[YT]4aRMZ4ePmMM[/YT]

Part 2

[YT]TjhtxfSMIWk&feature=related[/YT]

What's BE?

Interestingly, the Bert/Victor team on Project Runway just got reprimanded for using fabric that looks like a curtain. The cultural reference used at the time was the Sound of Music, however.
    "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

BE = best ever.
      Diane
      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
      @PainPhysiosCan
      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
      @WCPTPTPN
      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thank you Jon.

I still remember hearing my parents laughter when we first saw this years ago.
        This show was a big part of our family life. Sweetened or made bearable if only very fleetingly, what was for the most part, the impossibly strained atmosphere at my house.

I see a connection there to what I provide my clients as a massage therapist and have come to resent the condescension I perceive in my colleagues faces when I say : I provide relaxing massages, yes absolutely I do.

I forget those colleagues know not the hours and hours I have been spending this past year reading that which can give credence to my pet theory; that this crazy life people are leading is straining their nervous systems beyond what it was meant to take.( I take it personally and I shouldn't.) I've made some attempts at directing them towards SS and regularly post links and reading\viewing suggestions on my FB page, to no avail. We just aren't there yet as community here in Québec. And I haven't what it takes to stir up a fuss.

Were it not for SomaSimple, I would be unaware of the Neuromatrix, Patrick Wall, Butler, Moseley, Ramachandran, Sapolsky (who has played an enormous role in my reasoning.) Doidge, Neil Pearson, Simple Contact, DNM etc, etc, etc...

Now back when I was a little girl, I'd have given anything to actually be able to interact with Ms. Burnett. The reasons for this are quite obvious. The technology wasn't yet available. ( Though I suppose I could have snail mailed a fan letter...) I can do that now and am more than grateful for the opportunity.

I don't buy the argument that SomaSimple is devoid of pertinent information nor that the tone here is difficult or confrontational. Yes, the ''atmosphere'' is strained at times and some threads have made me feel the way I felt when as a child, I heard my parents arguing. No one here makes any claims that these waters are easy to navigate. But.

People here ALWAYS give you the chance to explain yourself. They always give you the chance to reexamine your position and hash it out. They are not afraid to say they were full of shit when such is the case. They are not afraid of saying they were WRONG. And if they close the door in your face, you can be sure they gave you ample time to flesh out your thoughts and expose your theories.

Try finding that kind of place anywhere else.

I dare you.
        Carol Lynn Chevrier LMT
        " The truth is, people may see things differently. But they don't really want to. '' Don Draper.

Comment

That show was popuplar in my own home. Tim Conway is a Cleveland boy after all, and he starred on Cleveland TV with Ernie Anderson - introduced from the audience each week.

I'm sure Jon knows that Maria made play clothes for the children from the curtains and Bert's outfit fir the stilt-walker was certainly reminiscent of that (all PR references).

Burnett's outfit was much funnier.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Here's Bob Mackie talking about the dress.

[YT]nSSTZd-0I2k&feature=related[/YT]
            "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

For me, the curtain rod dress symbolizes the ortho branch of the human primate social grooming tree. Dressed to Impress, but making no fashion sense, not really hitting the mark in terms of stress reduction or treatment for/of pain presentations.
              Diane
              www.dermoneuromodulation.com
              SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
              HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
              Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
              @PainPhysiosCan
              WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
              @WCPTPTPN
              Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I saw Gone with the Wind years ago and was quite bored with it; I never watched it again.
                I am well aware that it is rated as the most loved film of all time, but to me, it is fictional. That means it is 'made up' and not credible enough to take on board. However other movies have had quite a different and very positive effect on me so I am still working out the differences.

I watch very little TV, my other half watches 5-6 hours a day, mostly stuff he has recorded. Probably I am missing out on something culturally important but I don't know what it is.

However, I agree with Keith and others that the internet is incredibly valuable and useful; it's knowing how to use it and what to ignore as waffle.

Nari

Comment

nari, I'd much rather watch Carol Burnett in any role than Gone with the Wind.
                  Watching that is akin to watching the worst soap opera or melodrama.

I do like what Barrett does with these metaphores - I do not have to like the movies to "get" them (thank god).
                  We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                  Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

I do like what Barrett does with these metaphores - I do not have to like the movies to "get" them (thank god)
                    Precisely.

Comment

Yes, I'm glad you're aware that knowing about something and liking something are not the same thing. I've got a blog post in my head about that.

Nari,

All kinds of things are "fictional." This includes the stories we tell each other that we swear are true.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Yes, and a lot of folk have problems sorting ot what is actual from fictional. We see that here on SS every week.

Life does get complicated sometimes. It's the nature of homo sapiens.

Nari

Comment

Working...
                        X