Thank you note

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you note

I limped into the house again, remembering what I’d written here two weeks earlier and figured I’d just have to find the salve and wait out my brain’s sorting through the message the wasp had just delivered – Go away! You have no power here! (Reference: Glinda, the Good Witch of the North)

But a minute later I began to experience an allergic reaction that…Well, I don’t want to go through that again. I guess I knew it wasn’t going to kill me, but at one point I kinda wished it would. Okay, maybe that’s a bit overdramatic, but you get the point.

I’ve done what I can to “encourage” my new neighbors to take up residence elsewhere (wasp heaven, for instance) and now I’m getting ready to mow again.

My stomach feels like it does when the boss calls you into their office and tells you to close the door.

It’s interesting. Without this reaction driven by the lower centers of my brain (I guess) and, certainly, my unconscious, our species would probably not have survived. We need this kind of protection and vigilance following a vicious attack. Well, okay it wasn’t an attack so much as it was simply a survival instinct on the part of that insect. I’m just having difficulty imagining it so. After all, I pay taxes on that piece of land.

Still, my backyard looks different to me now – it really needs mowing for one thing. And it may be a while before I walk through there as thoughtlessly as I once did.

Thanks to the wasp.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Sounds like you need a graded exposure programme for mowing the lawn Barrett
    Dave

Comment

Barrett,
      Sounds like you need clothing so that no bit of skin is inviting the wasps to taste. You might add a stetson with corks dangling off the rim and/or face netting.
      I know it's summer but I have no idea how hot Cuyahoga Falls becomes in August.

Dave, just to cheer Barrett up, I don't think graded exposure works for wasps?? My nephew has never gone outside the house without his bee anti-venom in his pocket, and he's 46...

Nari

Comment

Nari,

I knew it wouldn't be long before you showed up since you're our resident expert on deadly animals wildlife.

In Ohio, like most of the rest of the US this summer, it's hot. Hives don't help.

If ever I get to Oz (yet another reference) I might feel like I do when entering my own backyard these days.

It's chilling.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I should tell you that I tried mowing after I wrote this yesterday but was chased away after getting a bite from something on my wrist. Now I can't wear my watch, and it's tme to call in the heavy hitters. They aren't free.

Just what my psyche needed.
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,

What do you think would happen if you looked at a photo of a wasp? Every day?

Nari

Comment

Nari,

I'm not certain that would work, but it's worth a try. Or, I could just be grateful that I live in the midst of civilization, unlike so many of your hearty countrymen.

If ever I get invited there I'll prepare similarly; looking at a picture of Paul Hogan every day.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Bees don't swarm at night. So it's a good time for me to light the nest on fire at night, and watch them fly away on fire. Use a torch though, to put a little distance between you and the nest.

Comment

Barrett,

I may have found the solution to getting you back out in the yard mowing:

http://www.stopthesting.com/

The video of the "Truth in Advertising" reporter performing a case study on herself is very compelling, but it would've been better if she had been blinded and allowed someone else to apply the real stuff on one hand and a placebo salve on the other. But, that wouldn't have made as good TV.

You don't need to send me a thank you note.
                  John Ware, PT
                  Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
                  "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
                  “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
                  be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

The other thing that works really well on bug bites ATM (according to me) is tea tree oil at 100% strength.
                    It's from Australia, naturally.
                    Diane
                    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                    @PainPhysiosCan
                    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                    @WCPTPTPN
                    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                    SomaSimple on Facebook
                    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Okay John, I agree that blinding would have been a good idea. But just watching that made my heartbeat rise. So, uh, thanks. Also, is that stuff supposed to stop the dizzyness and hives?

Or will I have to drink some of Diane's oil? Do they put that stuff into the Foster's in Oz?
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett, don't drink it, it's not for ingestion, it's for taking care of peripherally produced histamine in the skin. It's to be put on the bites directly, Pain goes straight away, swelling disappears in a couple more minutes. I've used it for
                        1. sand fly bites : these horrid flying carnivores are tiny, like fruit flies, and you can't feel them bite because they inject an anesthetic unlike wasps, but they leave blood running down your face from the bite and the bites swell and are itchy for days. In fact, it was after having been bitten by these little horrors, and having a face that looked like the elephant man, for a couple days, someone tipped me to tea tree oil and let me use some of their stash; I was suitably impressed by the rapidity with which my face shrank back to normal size and stopped being itchy.
                        2. Spider bites on the pinky finger, from sitting in grass. The DIP swelled up, was very nociceptive. Tea tree oil worked again. Went away, took about 15 minutes.
                        Diane
                        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                        @PainPhysiosCan
                        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                        SomaSimple on Facebook
                        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

A few points here:

They don't put teatree oil in Foster's because nobody drinks that awful stuff in Oz, we only export it. I'm not sure what would happen if you drink it, but it would probably wipe out all intestinal flora faster than any antibiotic..plus a few other things.

It does work on almost anything but I didn't know it worked on allergic reactions so well. Good tip. It is a good prophylaxis as the smell is so powerful nothing comes near you.
                          It makes an excellent shampoo except if one had coloured hair as it removes about 80% of the colour. I've heard it called paint stripper. Seriously, it is good stuff.

Nari

Comment

The absolute best for poison ivy!
                            Deb

Comment

It's a strong smell, but not at all unpleasant. Specialty soap makers use it as an ingredient, alongside their other bars containing sandlewood, lavender, citrus etc.
                              Diane
                              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                              @PainPhysiosCan
                              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                              SomaSimple on Facebook
                              @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                              X