Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caro
    replied
    Well, Waldeinsamkeit, Mary Oliver even wrote about it.

“How I go to the woods

Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single
    friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
    unsuitable.

I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
    or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
    praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit
    on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
    until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
    unhearable sound of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love
    you very much.”
    He, he.

Leave a comment:

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    Chris says:

...actually become the character...
    This is a large part of The Method.

I've heard stories about how intense that can be.

Leave a comment:

• chrislowndes
    replied
    Yes being alone in a roomful of people. Some persons pretend to be part of the troop, others think they are part of the troop and others feel outside (Waldeinsamkeit)......

Modern society with its large loose groups "friends" (see Facebook) may make this feeling more prevalent. http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...a-robin-dunbar

Leave a comment:

• Diane
    replied
    Waldeinsamkeit: the feeling of being alone in the woods.

Exactly. Perfect. (That's the feeling I have always had, right inside my own profession!)
    It's the human condition - all the trappings of society are there to try to dispel it, create an illusion of human troop.

Leave a comment:

• chrislowndes
    replied
    Being as opposed to Doing. Being with them instead of aimless chit chat, saying those oft trotted out phrases "how are you" and doing to them.

If you wish to see/sense their current state and wish to enable a fair state then being not doing would be the way forward.

Oh and one of my favourite words is german "Waldeinsamkeit" came up in a play I saw, a play for children which brings back to the kindergarten teacher, the play told a story and did not do it in a special way for them. Children and some adults are acutely aware of the authentic.

Brings me to acting, maybe the best actors, the most convincing ones are not acting but actually become the character - still thinking that one through.......
    Last edited by chrislowndes; 10-06-2014, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Jakalski
    replied
    The chameleon is another good analogy.
    Remember, it's PUNday Monday...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ian s
    replied
    just discovered this thread via Barrett flagging it up on noi jam …umwelt …great discussion here and there . You anticipated things a bit earlier Barrett ! Thanks . Its got so many applications in terms of ones current state of activity level and the environment one interacts with/in ...

Leave a comment:

• Diane
    replied
    I wrote a long rambly all over the place blogpost about this, earlier today: Bio and psycho and social embraidedness

Leave a comment:

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    It is cool. I almost remember beginning this thing.

Seriously, the book about the Amur tiger (see post #1) has come up in conversation twice this week.

I have some strange conversations.

Leave a comment:

• Milehigh
    replied
    Wow this thread is sooo cool. I have been using the analogy of something similar with pain. In order to enter a space of collaboration, akin to entering the umwelt together. I speak of pain as a metaphor that subjectively decreases the amount of movement we are willing, or feel we are able to complete. Or in other words, lets say we could represent the total amount of movement available to an individual as a bubble. Often time pain naturally constricts the size or shape of that metaphorical bubble. Therefore and in part to restore the natural homeostatic relationship of movement and pain we have to figure out where the boundaries of the bubble are. Then once we have established that do we begin to tease, tug and push those boundaries gently. The theory goes that if we continually push this bubble gently we will "stretch the limits" and the body will begin to interpret the previously painful movements as normal. This is very similar I believe in scope and philosophy to Cory's edgework.

I have found good success with explaining pain this way because it is often how patients feel. It empowers them in a collaborative way with the therapist and we begin to explore together.

Very cool stuff. Thanks Barrett.

Eric

Leave a comment:

• Diane
    replied
    More about umwelt, from Andrian Kreye answering Edge.org's question for 2012.

Don't get your

1. umwelt ("subjective environment as perceived and impacted by an organism"... aka first-person, aka "effective","efferent") confused with your

2. umfeld ("objective environment which encompasses and impacts all organisms in it's realm"...aka, third-person, aka "affective", "afferent").

A good example from the next two contributors, Hazel Rose Markus and Alana Conner, about expectations, stereotypes.
    Last edited by Diane; 15-01-2012, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JennyMacK
    replied
    I really like this thread. I completely agree that umwelt is essential to a good therapeutic relationship. Anybody can lay their hands on a client or bark orders at them about number of reps and sets; but empowering the client requires that you've made that connection with them (entered their bubble, or as I prefer two bubbles becoming one for that period of time).

There's another thread about the parasympathetic activity being the default state of the nervous system. I tend to agree, and think that sympathetics need to be settled down as part of the process of desensitizing the nervous system.

Those without a passionate and honest voice or hands will not get past the sympathetic responses of "fight/flight" or "faint/play dead", however those with the umwelt will better be able to activate the "reset button" of the nervous system to restore the default parasympathetic state.

Leave a comment:

• ahboncainri
    replied
    I am not trying to be critical toward you either. If anything critical toward the way I practice. I am just wondering about better solutions and opportunities to empower the patient.

I am currently working in Cape Cod as a travel therapist in an outpatient setting.

Victor Prati, PT
    Last edited by ahboncainri; 13-02-2011, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    Not critical, just talking about my current situation.

Where do you work?

Leave a comment:

• ahboncainri
    replied
    Mr Dorko,

I also can appreciate what you are saying but it is a tough road when the patient is that sick and that it falls on the practitioner to change. It seems pretty disempowering and can be seen somewhat as a paternalistic approach in which the practitioner has to come down to the level of the patient to initiate healing. It gets even tougher when addressing the factors affecting the patient’s ability to communicate might fall outside of the scope of physical therapy. Biopsychosocial approach is necessary in physical therapy but I believe in some instances that other health care professionals are better equipped and that referral is warranted (with an interdisciplinary approach to treatment if appropriate).
    I am not pretending to have the solution to solve these patients’ difficult problems (I don’t think any group does). I am just pointing out that it might set the wrong tone to start interacting with the patient in an “unequal” manner.

My ideas are as elastic as my brain so I greatly appreciate criticism

Victor Prati, PT

Leave a comment:

Working...
X