Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander technic ?

Hi Barrett,

What are your thoughts on the F.M. Alexander Technic ?

A teacher of the method wants to periodicaly work in my clinic. She did a demo on me today.

Although, most of the logic seemed mostly pseudo scientific in nature listening to her, the application of the «technic» on me was a very gentle, slow guidance, and a stimulation towards a counscious awareness of automatic postural and non-volitional mouvements habits.

Obviously the logic was flawed with the usual link between posture and pain, especially the part with the axial extension. But the application of the technic was not too coercisive and was not too focused on «correcting the posture» with strong muscle contraction.

After the demo, I had a «deadman» chat with her, with no obvious impact on her understanding of the human brain and body.

What do you think this approach is worth ?
    Frédéric Wellens, pht
    «We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.»
    «
    Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
    »
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    www.physioaxis.ca
    chroniquesdedouleur blog

Frederic,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I composed it in my head soon after reading your original question but then forgot that you couldn't read it there.

I spent some time working closely with a huge fan of Alexander's work back in the 80s and read all the books at the time. I even leaned how to juggle after following Michael Gelb's advice to "freeze" after dropping a prop. We had met at a Trager workshop and his book Body Learning was a good introduction to the work.

I also have it on good authority that Feldenkrais learned quite a bit from Alexander personally but that they split badly once Feldenkrais began to write himself.

I remain troubled by what I saw as the underlying judgment of posture and "use" as defined by that community. There seems to be an absence of neurologic freedom and improvisational movement as well and this leads to training rather than care. It also adds months to recovery, it seems.

More thoughts from you?
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

thats what you need Barrett

Barrett re --Micheal Gelbs performance ------you need him to teach this pain physiology/body handling and complexity information--he'd certainly get an audience going ...glad he's not a t.v evangelist he would be pretty good!

Re Alexander I think the approach as an education tool for motor 'efficiency' is pretty good as long as people don't get stuck into static 'perfect' postures which tends to happen .There was a study in the BMJ recently http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/aug19_2/a884
      Now what happens is that this one trial is used as a marketing tool so its now a 'treatment' a panacea rather than a means of self awareness ?

Comment

My first impression is that it is overly relying on ideal postures, especially one with axial extension.

For instance, she was guiding me to get up from and back onto a chair while slightly guiding my head so that I refrain from approaching a forward head posture in the process.

I don't know how many times i'd have to practice such a councious way of doing such an automatic mvt before I'd be able to do it the way she would want me to.

Let alone the obvious, would this affect my pain ?

I did like the fact that nothing forceful was employed and fixated overly upright postures were discouraged. And also, it is introducing some good self counsciouness moments.

But althought the approach itself might be somewhat effective for pain (I read the trial), I felt there was a great lack of understanding of how the body actually really works and there seemed to be a lot of «releasing» involved, if you see what I mean...
        Last edited by Frédéric; 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM.
        Frédéric Wellens, pht
        «We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.»
        «
        Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.
        »
        Friedrich Nietzsche
        www.physioaxis.ca
        chroniquesdedouleur blog

Comment

Was not sure where to put this. I have been reviewing ethology papers and this youtube video popped up. It was interesting so I thought I would put it here.
          [YT]XXr-9kQZ0ow[/YT]
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          Body is imbued with mind, and mind is embodied.

Comment

Working...
          X