Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baniel's Brainstorm

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In this video it looks very much like addressing adverse neural tension. But is such a short demonstration affecting the brain neuroplastically?

Anat @ TEDXBerkeley

http://dotsub.com/view/f096a7a7-37d7...b-dd6bad55efb9

Karen

Comment

@Karen, depends on how you define 'neuroplastically'.
      Diane
      www.dermoneuromodulation.com
      SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
      HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
      Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
      Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
      @PainPhysiosCan
      WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
      @WCPTPTPN
      Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
      SomaSimple on Facebook
      @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thanks Diane.

I remember you liked path walking and others on the board also use similar movement to demonstrate how uncomplicated it is to change the defense associated with mechanical deformation. Whether it is immediate or longer lasting neural changes could be determined by outcome questions and testing. The issue for many people is they are not moving enough which is where motion is lotion becomes so helpful. Over longer time frames the motions in the neural tissues as demonstrated should allow for adaptation and modulation of the pain neuromatrix to give the musculoskeletal tissues more excursion also.

I was just curious about terminology.

Karen

Comment

What happened to this conversation? I was excited to see how willing some PTs are to openly see limitations in their own field and look outside their box for alternatives. I didn't see such open mindedness in a group I belong to in Linkedin.

Comment

What we tried to do was to get the author to offer something aside from an advertisement.

She didn't.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Newman View Post
              Perhaps Anat would find the approach we used with Steven George a more comfortable manner of communicating with SS participants.
              Just posting this crosslink for anyone who comes to this thread in the future, so they don't have to search to see what was this suggested approach was.
              C.O. ( gender: ) - LMT, BS(Anatomy), DC
              Music Fog... pick a song to listen to... you can't go wrong.
              Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

Anat's interview: time limited

Hi all,

if you have time, take a look,

http://theautismintensive.com/event/...eb43a08ddf77cb

http://theautismintensive.com/interviews/anat-baniel/

Kind regards,

Weni
                Last edited by weni888; 20-01-2016, 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Weni, thank you!
                  I can not help but immediately think of all the "help" books for autism, from nutritional "treatment" to spinal adjustments.
                  Full of anecdotes, appeal to authority ("I worked with Feldenkrais" - insert pedestal comments here) etcetera etcetera.
                  Anat appears to promise more than anyone can deliver without some very deep and strong evidence. It sounds good. And that is really all it does so far.

Her facile assumptions of the operation of an ASD brain (or any brain for that matter) is such a gross simplification that it makes me wonder what neurology she has delved into. It is SO much more complex than what she suggests on both ends of this spectrum - the child's brain function and the effects of any treatment.
                  I do not doubt for a minute, that there can be changes in ASD children with a consistent application of her suggestions/treatment - but that is something that needs to be established as a long term permanent change rather than an observed outcome.

Being a parent of an ASD child and science-oriented, I can say that I am extremely sceptical of largely unsubstantiated claims about methods and such; Anat does not get past that filter with this......
                  We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
                  Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                  Working...
                  X