A Single Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Single Idea

Today I walked up to a bookshelf in my office and allowed myself to stop and wait for what came next; I waited for my unconscious inclinations to move me.

Google “A single idea” today and you’ll get nearly 77 million hits. The phrase came to me this morning but I’m obviously not the first to recognize its significance. Darn.

I liked this bit from one of the first hits from Google:

…true effectiveness and success is far more than just gaining readers; it’s really about persuading your readers of the strength of your argument by giving them something truly memorable to take away from your post–and then, hopefully, to act on your message, if appropriate.

A list of 10 different points, even if similarly related to one overarching topic, necessarily dilutes the effectiveness of each single point–your readers don’t have just one main, memorable idea to ponder, but now have 10!

Ideas spread when they are remembered. And they stick in the mind better when they stand alone, without competition from other opposing ideas.
    My career as a writer, teacher and clinician has reached a very low point during the past year and I feel that being honest about that is best. Someone marketing my popularity and skills might disagree but that’s not my nature, and, as you’ll see, my nature is what I’ve always been about.

I want to begin this thread by saying that a single idea truly formed whatever success I may have had in the past. Its fruition has fed my family and allowed me to sleep soundly at night and my inability to spread it, use it and write about it now keeps me awake.

What is that idea?

I’ll let you know in the next post.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Sounds a little gloomy Barrett? But does pique the curiosity somewhat

ANdy
    "Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Comment

Barrett, please take the following from someone who characterizes his own skull as an impenetrable fortress of skepticism and inertia. The ideas generated on this forum are getting out there and the evolution is well under way. I think it's time you give yourself the credit you deserve (no more and no less) and move on. Lamenting the lack of response from the otherwise unresponsive may not be the path toward your contentment. The more your satisfaction hinges upon others' response to your ideas, I'm afraid the more you'll go wanting.

I've been teaching the same undergraduate course for over ten years, but I know that regardless of my passion or enthusiasm only a small fraction of the students will share in it. An even smaller percentage will step forward to address it with me directly.

I can't speak for those who aren't stepping up and joining the discussion, so I won't. What I can say is that individuals worth dealing with will be those who a) have an opinion agreeable or otherwise and b) have the balls to express them in the arena of ideas. You've met both criteria and that's about all you should reasonably expect of yourself.

I think I've made it clear to you that, despite our friction, I believe there is a lot of fruit on the vine here and you are doing great stuff. I know the last thing you needed was a pep talk from me of all people, but well there you go...hang in there.

Rod Henderson-Chopra
      Last edited by HeadStrongPT; 17-02-2009, 02:45 AM.
      Rod Henderson, PT, ScD, OCS
      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. — Jonathan Swift

Comment

Thanks Rod.

ANdy,

Believe me, I'm often gloomier than this.

Here’s the idea: WE ARE SELF-CORRECTIVE.

Three words if you count the hyphenated one as a single word, and you should.

I certainly wasn’t taught this in school and virtually every technique of manual care I was taught, used and demonstrated to many others was based upon the premise that self-correction wasn’t a viable option once pain became persistent.

Now, when I say correction I’m simply speaking of active movement toward a less physically and thus physiologically stressful state. I think this is self-explanatory.

I've a good deal more to say about the evidence and implications of that idea - I've already written some of it but will let that out slowly.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Chiropractic innate intellegence....? Get out of your own way by poor me-ing less and move thru and to the edge of pain, hold, breath, and move again discovering the painfree range is improved and the body/mind corrects, reconnects,remembers and feels better.......

Comment

bob,

Coherent English or go away.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Over ten years ago I wrote The Forgotten Movement and recall feeling very pleased with myself immediately afterward. It was published in a very popular weekly (now defunct) and I know a lot of therapists read my column there. ‘There,” I thought. “That will show them. The references make me look pretty smart and I’m sure others must have similar experiences to my own. Now I’ll just wait for the idea to take hold and then transform manual care.”

Did I mention that this was over ten years ago?

The book I referenced to help begin my defense of this idea was published in ’97, titled Nonconscious Movements, and though it certainly didn’t contain everything I needed to know to defend my position, it gave me a foothold I still stand upon.

As far as I can tell, not many others concerned with human movement have read it.

Instead, a large group has mutated this movement into something bizarre and virtually supernatural. Boy, that hasn't helped grow the single idea we could incorporate into manual care.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

dear Barrett

Can you imagine that, before coming to this site, I had never heard of you?:cry: sorry
                Does that matter¿ no of course not!....
                Apparently this is my time to get involved.......a bit

I have learnt to cope with a lot of frustration.......
                knowing I have so much to give,
                knowing there is a need.... BUT...... no response... no nada....(not always)

I cannot write as well as you can.... and have never really felt the urge to......

Being teacher (+ writers are teachers no?) means having to accept that you will have to repeat a lot a lot.

We are self-corrective YES... if we so chose.
                Our job, in my opinion, is getting the patient to understand this and helping them along the way..... no more, no less.....

I have never held the opinion that WE therapists could correct.... only the patient can do this......

Esther

Comment

Originally posted by estherderu View Post

We are self-corrective YES... if we so chose.
                  Our job, in my opinion, is getting the patient to understand this and helping them along the way..... no more, no less.....

I have never held the opinion that WE therapists could correct.... only the patient can do this......

Esther
                  Barrett,
                  Esther has said it well...Allow me to translate my post......

Chiropractic innate....As my friend Scott DC yells as he is jumping all over your spine....I'm turning on the power... Well he is just banging the bones hopefully eliciting the desired response from the nervous system... In me he elicits fear and bracing.

Clients become the label which is given them thru their belief system and set up their own response to pain. If you become your MRI you will hurt. If you become your lineage, Grand dad had this his grandad had this and so on... you will hurt.
                  When you become fearful of movement you will hurt prior to the initiation of the movement just with the thoughts...."never a thought without a thing"...
                  I think the neuromatrix and brain that changes itself describe these findings...

SO it is up to the therapist to provide the right environment and education to the client so they can get out of their own way and allow the body's restoration and recovery system to act

Next by gentle noncoercive handling techniques engaging the clients body/mind movement is uncovered in a non threatening relatively painfree manner...The client is instructed to feel this natural movement which has been supressed by the belief system and breath deeply into this new found movement. The deep diaphragmatic breathing elicits more feelings of movement along with waking up the supressed autonomic nervous system and physiological changes which promote healing can re-emerge.

The client now begins to feel better, starts believeing in a postive outcome and their expectations lead them to the promised land.

ALL we do as good therapists is show them the way. We can not fix anyone.

I know this style of writing is not the erudite, haughty prose you prefer, but it works for me as does my handling methods and client interaction. I know you know the ones to which I refer.
                  Peace

Comment

Proud,

Not even remotely the topic of this thread.

bob,

You keep leaving out the screaming, wailing and crying also common to the practice you espouse. Gee, I wonder why? As you say, “I know you know the ones to which I refer.”

Hope that isn’t too “haughty” for you.

Now, back to the subject at hand; Self-correction of acquired mechanical deformation.

In a brilliant and well-referenced analysis of what we know of ideomotion Luke Rickards has written:

Ideomotion can be described as instinctive, automatic expressions directly coupling dominant mental representations to action without intermediary volition. Ideomotor theory suggests that motor patterns can be automatically and intimately associated with their internal and external sensory effects, and will occur in the absence of any other cognitive representation or efferent motor command. Although ideomotion has been commonly associated with non-volitional movements, ideomotor theory also provides a compelling explanation for the generation of goal-oriented voluntary actions. During ideomotor movements the sensory effects, such as the kinaesthetic and interoceptive sensations that may accompany each movement, are directly coupled with the generation of the movement itself . Thus a kinaesthetic representation of a position that may be associated with reduced pain sensation, or stretch of a stiffened tissue, will be automatically coupled to the movement that produces the represented sensation.
                    After a few readings and then some further reading of the references (absent from this quote) I’ve come to understand that our interpretation of palpable and visible muscular activity needs some major adjustment. When “stiffened tissue” changes rapidly another process must be considered, and that reconsideration helps us focus on the single idea I’m trying to impart.

Forgive the erudition (meaning “to speak knowledgably”). Apparently some would prefer this be dumbed down.
                    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,
                      Not everyone needs to express themselves with a gamut of emotions to return to themselves, but it is powerful for them to see where their mindset is stuck and what may be keeping persistant pain patterns repeating and thus keeping them from SELF CORRECTING.
                      I use unwinding techniques, you know them as ideomotion. We have been there before so lets not rehash. bygones

Proud, It seems your collegue empowers the client, a necessary step in my opinion.

Comment

it is powerful for them to see where their mindset is stuck
                        This is an absurd presumption for a physical therapist to make.
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,
                          This self-correction concept is where I struggle as a therapist. Not that it's real, but how to evoke it. It's the form of asking the fourth question that at times grips me with confusion and frustration. And I'd like to think I understand neurodynamics fairly well.

How do I ask this question with this patient in these circumstances? Such a simple question, but often a difficult one to broach with patients.
                          John Ware, PT
                          Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
                          "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
                          “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
                          be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

John,

I appreciate your frustration and I've heard it before. Silvernail will tell you that when I showed him he laughed out loud at how absurdly easy it is to "do." My emphasis has never been on the manual skill required but rather on the knowledge of what's there to begin with. Clearly you have that knowledge but maybe Jason can help you with what he sensed with my handling that day. It wasn't supernatural, by the way.

Proud,

Your friend's definition of correction is perhaps different than mine. I would never refute his results if he can demonstrate them and, rather famously, I make no claims of my own.

Can your friend rattle off the four origins of pain? Does he focus on figuring out which he is addressing with his exercise and how?

If he chooses not to speak we have to draw our own conclusions.
                            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by proud View Post
                              Barrett,

Bottom line is that most patients with persistent pain have a warning system on when it should not be. Our job is to shut it off. He figures there are lots of ways to accomplish it but maintains the approach has to have two variables:

1. Relevant and defendable within the science community. Otherwise the patient is doomed for long term failure. Which is why MFR is so dead wrong....you don't "unwind" things or release emotions from the body. To tell patients this is harmful and not productive in the same way that telling a patient that their anteriorly rotated pelvis is the source of all their pain( for example)

2. The outcomes have to be sustainable and lasting. Self-correction is the only way to accomplish this.
                              Fear---associated with the warning system is an emotion.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear

Turning off the fear is the directly related to the persons belief system. I suppose if I said I elicit the ideomotor response it would have more relevence then unwind.
                              A rose is a rose is a rose.....
                              Still we are off topic here....
                              The body does self-correct...
                              on with the show.
                              I'll get to my presumption later

Comment

Working...
                              X