More about story's power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Barrett!

The U.S.S. Enterprise receives a signal from "The Children of Tama," an alien race that has no history of violence, but whose language has been deemed "incomprehensible" to humans. Hovering above an uninhabited planet, Picard and the crew hope to establish relations with the Tamarians.

I use that episode (The Darmok) as an introduction to my Traditional literature classes. It a great lesson on the power of metaphor and allusion.

Comment

Something I learned from the story that O'Callahan told was the existence of story telling coaches. I thought I could probably benefit from something like that so I googled around and found the Notes from the Storytelling Coach blog.
      "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

No narrative that tells the facts of a man’s life in the man’s own words can be uninteresting.

Mark Twain
        Thanks for this Jon. I’ve downloaded a few podcasts and will consider reading the book.

I still struggle with storytelling. The quote from Twain above uses the word “narrative” a distinction made here before.

Ken,

Your students are so lucky to have you.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Perhaps I should consider a narrative coach instead.
          "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Working...
          X