Evelyn Glennie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool.
    She made it sound like a violin to keep the ears from getting bored.
    Wonder what sort of neural tension she'll develop in a few years.

Those are astute observations/connections Barrett. We are all theremin players here. Some don't know they are, some do. Some attributes of the human theremin are:
    1. it is the most sensitive of all
    2. the most forgiving
    3. the quietest - in fact you can barely hear it - you have to listen through your hands.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

One of the things that I noticed is how Pamelia transitioned from what appeared to be a state of composure and flow to what appeared to be a state of anxiety and back again as she played, talked and played again.

The first place I know that I heard a theremin was in Plan 9 From Outer Space by the brilliant Ed Wood.
      "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

An additional thought.
        Not only are we (as therapists) "playing" the theremin in our patient, the patient is playing the one in us. We get to hear both while the patient only gets to hear ours, and has to listen much more carefully/differently to "hear"(feel) their own. Many can, some can't.

I looked around for how they work - still don't really get it.
        Diane
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        @PainPhysiosCan
        @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

You can make your own theremin.
          Last edited by EricM; 17-02-2008, 12:14 AM. Reason: fixed link
          Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

Hilarious Eric. I'm afraid the video of me making a theremin would look like me doing PT, collecting a paycheck and going to buy a theremin from that guy.
            "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

Wow.
              His sounds like a kazoo instead of a violin..

I think I'll wait. If I need one, I'll try ready-made from Radio Shack or BestBuy. I don't think I can make anything harder than an Ikea bookshelf.
              Diane
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              @PainPhysiosCan
              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

Comment

Remember this guys?

Great info on how to listen.
                Last edited by caro; 12-08-2011, 05:22 AM.
                Carol Lynn Chevrier LMT
                " The truth is, people may see things differently. But they don't really want to. '' Don Draper.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this back Carol Lynn. Glennie's insights into sensation are uniquely stated and listening to her changed me profoundly.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Thanks for the bump of this thread as it is some good food for thought and ties in with a BrainSciencePodcast archived episode (trying to go through Dr Campbell's library during my commute) pertaining to peripersonal space that I listened to earlier last week. That particular episode had me thinking about some of my favorite musicians (I am a rock guy, so I went right to drummers and guitarists)...which ties right into this thread. It is interesting that the 2 links I provided are to guys that are technically proficient, and although I find their performances to strike me "emotionally", I am also aware of some people who find such technical music as stale.

We are the sound,” says Glennie. “I believe that we all have our own individual sound. We’re configured uniquely, we have a different weight, a different stance, we have a different means of attack, we approach the instruments differently but more importantly we hear the sound within ourselves differently.”

Perhaps we can say that as manual therapists we are at once the player and the instrument, and so is the patient. It gets complicated.
                    How Barrett's above posting struck me as profound was that while I was on my ride the other day (my commute is a 45 min bicycle ride along the Erie Canal trail, 3 days per week), I kept thinking of technically proficient musicians, but never the one person who I always thought sounded the best. For me, no one can match the tone and feel of Pink Floyd's David Gilmour...and while the taste for music is certainly subjective, I think that Glennie illustrates that there is something else here to witness. I have heard Comfortably Numb covered over and over and over (by exceptional musicians all over the world--I love youtube!), but it never sounds the same. I have always said to others that Gilmour's gift is his fingers and that even his guitar tech (techs, themselves, are typically good players of their own right) marvels at how the instrument sounds so different in Gilmour's hands than his own. This thread has me re-thinking the importance of the fingers, and focusing my thoughts on Mr. Gilmour's brain and how this relates to me as an aspiring manual clinician.

Indeed...complicated, Barrett.
                    Blog: Keith's Korner
                    Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Yup. It's complicated. In the end, whatever happens in any treatment encounter is an outcome of two unique nervous systems interacting with each other, not a set of protocols enacted by a zombie robot upon the anatomical body parts of a human in pain in an operative fashion.
                      Diane
                      Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                      @PainPhysiosCan
                      @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                      SomaSimple on Facebook
                      @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                      X