Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That they print (I mean by hand) their email addresses rather than write them joined-up?

Or is that just ridiculously simple?

Comment

Maybe the person doing the registration could ask the attendee to say the address before class. However, if the registration person has awful handwriting then you're really up a creek.
      Cory Blickenstaff, PT, OCS

Pain Science and Sensibility Podcast
      Leaps and Bounds Blog
      My youtube channel

Comment

Ask them to print, legibly, their email address on a sheet of paper that circulates, and like Bas said, that there will be no ads or passing of the list to others. Let them know it's for cont-ed of the intellectual sort. Let them know that if you can't read it, they'll miss out on the newsletter.
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Hi Barrett,

Do you still make a computer available for students to check out PT oriented websites during lecture breaks? Perhaps they could use it to email you at that time.

Also, putting a link titled something like, "subscribe to my newsletter" on your signature line (and linking it to your email address) might help.

I expect you'll eventually add a "sign up for my newsletter" link to your homepage too.

Lastly, I think you might have blown it when you joked about showing up to people's home to read to them. They might not have realized you were kidding. It happens.
          "I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing"--Bob Morris

Comment

I'll bet if Barrett was asked to go to someone's home to read a newsletter, he probably would!

Barrett, you might consider placing recipients email addresses in the 'bcc' box rather than all in the 'To' box. May seem nitpicky, but lots of people are worried about privacy and I hear this is one way of preventing the spread of unwanted spam email.
            Eric Matheson, PT

Comment

Eric,

The board offers such a privacy.
              Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
              We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
              If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
              bernard

Comment

All wonderful suggestions and I'll institute them as I'm able.

Bernard, I understand that the board might help me with this mailing but am unsure what that might entail. My primary goal here is to reach out again to those who express interest but will not take the time to register on Soma Simple. Ideally, the Newsletter will draw them in that direction.

If they don't register we don't know who or where they are. My email list solves that problem to some extent.
                Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Newsletter #2

Remember that thing I said about posting my Newsletter here just once? Well, that hasn’t exactly worked out.

Below you’ll find my latest, something I intended to send to about 70 email addresses from people who have expressed an interest. For the most part, these are therapists who for whatever reason will never come here to Soma Simple, so I’m going to them, with their permission, of course.

However, my email program (Eudora) will not allow me to send to so large a list of recipients. I am also sensitive to the fact that most would like their email addresses kept off of any list.

I need help with distribution and assume someone here (Bernard, probably) can do that if I supply the list I’ve compiled so far.

I’ll look for that help, and in the meantime, here’s the latest Newsletter.

Hello,

Who, looking at a hand, would say that it was meant to do easy work? You can see from the look of it that it was meant to do difficult things, that it is the noble, willing servant of the heart and mind.

From Gwilan’s Harp by Ursula K. LeGuin

While teaching I always take a moment to speak of how some of us are drawn to use our hands while doing what we can therapeutically for our patients. And while there’s little evidence that effective therapy can be done in a way that is manually forceful, there’s plenty of evidence that touch changes the context of the situation for both involved. Context is huge and driven by many factors - not all of them are controlled by the therapist. See http://www.somasimple.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3651

Gwilan’s Harp is a short story in a compilation by LeGuin titled The Compass Rose. (find it at Amazon.com). It’s about a young woman with a special gift for musical expression whose treasured harp is one day crushed in an accident. She goes on to judge competitions but plays very little herself. In her old age, her hands no longer physically up to the task, her husband dead, she says, “I have nothing left now but myself. There’s nothing left to do now but sing. I never could sing. But you play the instrument you have.”

As many of you know my own clinical practice ended this year and all I have now is the teaching. I was better at just treating patients, I think, and that’s because my hands convey something my voice cannot. One is a reflection of my personality and the other my understanding.

I’ve found I miss the opportunity to express with my hands what my words cannot, and I know I’m not the only therapist who feels this. Many stand in the midst of many patients and aren’t afforded the time to do this. That must be especially frustrating.

LeGuin’s story ends with this image: the harps hung on the wall beside Gwilan begin to resonate with her voice, answering softly with a tune once drawn from them with her hands alone.

This is the image I’ll take with me to Florida next week.

My best,
                  Barrett
                  http://barrettdorko.com
                  http://www.somasimple.com/

Feel free to forward this to anyone you feel might be interested.
                  Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 02-09-2007, 03:53 AM.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett, if your mail program doesn't let you mai to all 70, break the list into smaller lists. Maybe it will let you send to 20 at a time, or 15... I guess you would have to experiment a little. Or maybe Bernard will have several great ideas.
                    Diane
                    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                    @PainPhysiosCan
                    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                    @WCPTPTPN
                    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                    SomaSimple on Facebook
                    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

Not a bad idea, though I had just pushing one button in mind. I have trouble getting started on projects that suddenly grow, but I'll probably overcome that this time.

My goal is to keep the Newsletter under 400 words - no more than will fit on a single page - and always containing at least one link, usually to something here.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko
                        Below you’ll find my latest, something I intended to send to about 70 email addresses from people who have expressed an interest. For the most part, these are therapists who for whatever reason will never come here to Soma Simple, so I’m going to them, with their permission, of course.

However, my email program (Eudora) will not allow me to send to so large a list of recipients. I am also sensitive to the fact that most would like their email addresses kept off of any list.

I need help with distribution and assume someone here (Bernard, probably) can do that if I supply the list I’ve compiled so far.
                        As a referral, there is actually 204 registered members on the site.
                        It is also possible to add, manually, members if I have an amail adress.
                        Then the site is able to make mass email in a safe and it is not limited by a number.
                        We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
                        bernard

Comment

I created a new group for these Newsletters.
                          It is the Simple Contact.
                          You are free to join directly this one with this link =>
                          http://www.somasimple.com/forums/pro...editusergroups
                          then click on the join group (Simple Contact)

Berrett will take a look, several time a week, to approve the join requests.

bernard

Comment

Working...
                          X