X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    NIck,

Precisely. I hadn't thought this through. It's not the danger inherent to the technique or the possibility that the teacher might "die" out there but rather the implied disastrous consequences of not doing the technique with sufficient skill. This is what draws crowds.

These crowds typically consist of repeat students who are desperate to learn the real "secret" behind the charismatic instructor's way of being.

But in manual magic there are no secrets, and the performance of the manual magician is a result of his or her personality variant combined with their unique experience. This can't be taught.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    I think the fear is related to what a stuck cranial bone can cause. I remember being very fearful about what I might do to someone with my new powers of gentle handling if I didn't complete all my craniosacral levels. According to the Upledger folks it doesn't take much for a vital bone to be displaced and the list of what that could do you is endless.:thumbs_do I guess it just makes for more 'living on the edge' moments than downregulating a sensitive nervous system with gentle, instinctive movements. Maybe you need to throw in some more threats about what will happen if we don't show people how to shed their cultural armour and ideomote.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    Manual Magic - Life or Death?

I heard Garrison Keillor say this on his daily pod cast, “The Writer’s Almanac”: Today is the birthday of Harry Houdini who once said, “The easiest way to attract a crowd is to let it be known that in a given time and in a given place someone is going to attempt something that in the event of failure will result in sudden death.”

I’ve been thinking about this as I search around for ways to promote attendance at my workshops. I wonder if there is some subtle way of implying such a possibility during the course of manual care. It seems that the myofascial and crainial people have done it with their spurious claims of success by mysterious means of handling employed by exquisitely trained practitioners working in very special clinics. John Barnes himself appears on the front of his brochure standing in the clouds. I’m not kidding.

Is there some sort of implied danger here? Some kind of death imminent if the technique proves unsuccessful?

But, to me, manual magic is instead about revealing life as it is manifest through instinctive movement.

No wonder it’s a hard sell.

Leave a comment:

• bernard
    replied
    Barrett asked me to share the first essay of the "booklet".
    Opinions and advices are welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bernard; 30-03-2007, 02:35 PM. Reason: pdf modified

Leave a comment:

• bernard
    replied
    Sebastian,

Humor is a thing to make seriously. :angel:
    By the way and fortunately, it doesn't prove that I'm a bit serious.

ps: "Quelle" doesn't work => "Quel" is necessary since "truc" is a masculine.

Leave a comment:

• Bas Asselbergs
    replied
    Bernard - quelle truc! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Luke Rickards
    replied
    I can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• bernard
    replied
    So small... :angel:

Here is mine.

Leave a comment:

• Bas Asselbergs
    replied
    :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Leave a comment:

• Jason Silvernail
    replied
    :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Leave a comment:

• Diane
    replied
    Sounds like to me like chapters for a new book.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    :thumbs_up

Leave a comment:

• Jon Newman
    replied
    What do you think?

Did I miss anything? Is the title okay?
    The concept has grown on me. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Barrett Dorko
    replied
    Bernard,

You'll have it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• bernard
    replied
    Barrett,

about the booklet => Just give the text and you'll have it in pdf version few minutes after.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X