No announcement yet.

Postural sway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip Jon. Perhaps you could access it and send it to me?

Later edit: Thanks Jon for the excerpts.
    I thought others might be interested in seeing a blueprint of the grand central station of motor outflow. See attached thumbnail.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Diane; 25-03-2006, 04:15 PM.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

What a gem thread!

I was looking for a particular article on postural sway. I just never know what I'll end up reading here when I should be cleaning my house or kids or something.

Why on earth I can't get any of my colleagues here is beyond me.
      Christine

Comment

Christine,

Thank you for bringing this conversation up. There's a lot here, and, despite the 9 years that have passed, I have no argument with what I said here.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I just saw this thread, and didn't realize that I contributed to it. My blurb about posture, balance and defense brought to mind a recent incident illustrating the current state of P.T.
          practice. I'm seeing a homecare patient whose husband is upset about his "shuffling" gait.
          It's obvious that he's got balance issues, I'm guessing spinal stenosis is a factor. He started outpt P.T. a few days ago. He was told that he needs to take longer steps! They have him on a treadmill, holding the rails(thankfully)and practicing a longer stride. Does the saying "Putting lipstick on a pig" seem appropriate?

Comment

Listen Gary, treadmills free up a lot of actual labor ti...sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face.

You and I (and a few others) have watched as the profession of physical therapy has GONE DOWNHILL (the caps indicate that this is what I mean to say). Today, I think it has to do with an absence of curiosity and a rise in cultural influences I can't even begin to enumerate.

Don't even get me started on the schools.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,
              The lack of curiosity is stunning. I remember in one of the voluminous footnotes in Awakenings, Sacks asks one of his post encephalitic patients what he was feeling during a "freezing" episode. The gentleman said that he felt that he ran out of space to move-or something to that effect. So by asking this question, Sacks discovers that this is a sensory processing problem and that the "freezing" is a logical motor response.

Comment

Take away the inhibition, (e.g. with too much alcohol) and we can still breath and move about, but postural sway is no longer subtle and (nearly) invisible. It becomes exaggerated by the fact (I think) that higher (later evolved) levels of motor coordination are temporarily zapped, nonconscious ones take over, and the resulting movement isn't very pretty.

If postural sway reflected the activity of a postural sensory-motor feedback loop interacting with the oculo-vestibular apparatus, then slowing the firing rate of neurons (with ethanol), all other factors assumed constant, would lead to larger deviations around the equilibrium point.

Like if one thermostat worked perfectly (sober) and another one had a ten minute lag each time it was flipping on/off (drunk), the latter one would cause larger temperature fluctuations.

No evo-devo explanation required, I think.
                Ryan MB Hoffman, PhD
                Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                Working...
                X