Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/How does my Touch become Simple Contact ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? When/How does my Touch become Simple Contact ?

As Manual Therapist touch is primary in my care.
    But why does my every other touch or my effort to employ Simple Contact fail to elicit ideomotion and succeed at other times.
    How does my touch which is almost the same! capable of eliciting ideomotion and or characteristics of correction and not at other times.
    What are the factors at play here for expression and inhibition of ideomotion.
    I presume context as a factor here, not explaining about ideomotion and its expectation but the therapeutic alliance that I create with my patients and finally the patient itself.

Krishna,

I appreciate your asking. Context seems important here and variable responses are to be expected. I assume you're not changing hand position and/or getting in the way at times.

Simple Contact isn't some special sense, it is simply a touch and way of being that catalyzes ideomotion. That's always present.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
      Simple Contact isn't some special sense, it is simply a touch and way of being that catalyzes ideomotion. That's always present.
      Yes I can understand getting in the way but. Can you elaborate on the way of being.

Comment

Well, my impression is that I wouldn't be all that popular in India. Heck, I'm not that popular in the US, especially Northeast Ohio.

Suggesting others "be" a certain way is difficult to do. Getting them to "know" (perhaps understand) some things is easier and "knowing" that each of our patients is already moving correctively, that location of my hands and what it is I'm dealing with can be helpful, and this I try to impart in my classes. Please remember that the culture (however that may be manifest) is always present and can wipe out or change anything you do for reasons not evident to you. It is always present and more powerful than we can imagine. This, of course, makes it easy to blame for our failure.

But it wants respect; a dance and an acknowledgment of its presence.

This is not easy or simple in many ways.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
        Working...
        X