Spasms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spasms

So I admit I'm still stuck in the mesodermal paradigm partly due to my training in structural integration aka rolfing and that's what potential clients know me for.

A new client came in this morning. When I set up the context to safely move authentically at the end of his fascial session, he started to have convulsions and spasms throughout the body. He claimed this happens when someone touches near his head or is very relaxed. He questioned this movement at first. I noticed his movements were controlled and it took him some time to allow and listen to his ideomotion.

The way I'm interpreting his session is his allowance of inherent motion broke down the walls of postural programming. We spoke of his past injuries and he spoke of how he doesn't feel aligned and how 'good' posture makes him feel easier in his body. All of this perhaps due to the need to appease me or the preconception that he should impress me with biomechanical language. He spoke of how his fascia was tight all over. He also claimed he has FM, which I might contend. He debated with me on how pain isn't just neurogenic. But when he stood up from my table, he simply stated he felt better.

I'd love to hear stories about how you deal with graciously breaking down the biomechanical/prescriptive movement/cultural walls and actualize ideomotion in your clients?

Thanks!

A new client came in this morning. When I set up the context to safely move authentically at the end of his fascial session, he started to have convulsions and spasms throughout the body. He claimed this happens when someone touches near his head or is very relaxed. He questioned this movement at first. I noticed his movements were controlled and it took him some time to allow and listen to his ideomotion.
    https://www.somasimple.com/forums/sh...&postcount=390

But if a person is holding another, aren't there 2 ideomotive responses meeting up
    In my case, yes. I started working with ideomotion without knowing what it was in the '70s. To start with I just followed the patient, but started having problems with patients undergoing something similar to non epileptiform seizures which worried me. Surprisingly the patients didn't worry about this and said that they felt less pain and much more relaxed in themselves. It worried the heck out of me though and I was much happier when I trained in cranial osteopathy in the mid '80s, as it seemed that the cranial concepts going through my mind as I was handling the patient seemed to modulate the rather dramatic effects produced by previous interactions.
    Nowadays I have the anatomy and physiology of the nervous system in mind as I work and still have very few problems with patients flopping about on the treatment table like fish out of water.

I suspected over 20 years ago that my ideomotion was interacting with that of the patient and for a while worked with mirrors around the treatment table to see if this seemed to be the case and I noticed that my hands shifted to control movement that may have been causing me concern as soon as it started, I wasn't suppressing movement, but I was certainly guiding it. Since this discussion started I have been looking more carefully at what happens when I work nowadays.

There is expression of the patient's ideomotion, my ideomotion, my deliberate passive movement, skin stretch, neural glide, interspersed with occasional requests to the patient to do something, eg "Now stretch your leg down the table, but stop if it becomes painful or unpleasant". I have never had to give instruction to young children in this way as they are less inhibited.

The one group of patients with which I try to avoid ideomotion is those with Non Epileptform Attack Disorder as there is far too much going on without me adding to it. I have had some success in cueing down modulation and have one teenager who has managed to get himself back into mainstream school.
    Last edited by Jo Bowyer; 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM. Reason: misplaced apostrophes....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Thanks Jo! This is casting new light on perhaps why my client was convulsing.

And I've realized perhaps due to my expectations and the novelty of actualizing ideomotion, my own ideomotion is occurring too. Interesting you alluded to this. In this case, I played around with allowing my ideomotor and inhibiting. I must say I was able to listen better when I stopped my own.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Didn't either of you guys ever "bite your tongue"?

I've seen this. It was years ago, and I have learned that it should be ignored. In Ohio anyway.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

We don't bite our tongues in nyc. We give people the 'Bronx cheer!'

Comment

But how about my last question. I've come across some first-hand accounts of applying SC but I'd like more detailed ones.

Comment

Didn't either of you guys ever "bite your tongue"?
              Believe it or not, I still do. Listening to the unfettered ramblings of an ageing Brit with ASD isn't everyone's cup of Lapsang Souchong.

Btw Barrett you may be embodied in Ohio, but, courtesy of the interweb you are, concurrently, all over the rest of planet earth and 'the cloud'.
              Jo Bowyer
              Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
              "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
              Working...
              X