Follow up after NYC workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up after NYC workshop

A student introduced a great idea to start a conversation on this thread so we can discuss openly about our personal and patient results applying Simple Contact. Barrett graciously asked folks to join SS and I think it's a great way to discuss and iron out the discomfort we feel right after a workshop in applicability.

I started an email thread involving the entire class recently. Here's what I asked:

'Let's start a discussion on our experience(s) with Simple Contact.

1) How are you guys feeling in your body after the handful of trades in class?

2) Any shifts in perspective, movement, application, methodology, etc?

3) What factor(s) help or detract you from applying Simple Contact with your clients?

4) Any other question I should be asking? Please share.

This morning I feel more comfortable in my body and my skin. I'm self-corrective in the sense that I give myself postural rules from my Structural Integration background. I think Dorko would argue I'm creating my own bodily stress or adapting to our cultural views of healthy posture and vanity. I'm playing around now with the idea of following my body's innate need to move nonconsciously and see how that makes me feel, think, move, create,etc. An example is to let my thoracic spine hinge when walking as I'm always used to imposing conscious control and correcting this position by pushing my chest out. When I allowed it to happen, I felt comfortable and I was able to enjoy the moment.'

4) Any other question I should be asking? Please share.
    Has anyone felt inspired to follow up on some or all of the suggested reading?
    Jo Bowyer
    Chartered Physiotherapist Registered Osteopath.
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Bowyer View Post
      Has anyone felt inspired to follow up on some or all of the suggested reading?
      I've just ordered most of the suggested books. I'm looking forward to them.

Comment

This is a great idea Minki.

References and books are wonderful to own and have at our fingertips and in our heads. My contention is always twofold - they often lead to confusion and most don't touch them anyway. Perhaps they know in their adulthood that they don't learn that way.

Have I mentioned that I was available to travel and teach?

Not knowing which of the four origins of neurogenic pain (read all pain) is dominating at the moment invites us to speculate about the presence of something invisible. This is why I speak of detection and how pain is an aporia. Like a good magician, the therapist has an "out" and this, paradoxically, is easier to employ if less is read or understood. Maybe that's why references are always asked for but not usually read.

My mind turns to the fact that some things are ungraspable by the human mind and that prediction is troublesome. I try to combat all of this by simplifying what I can.

Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't.

Fortunately, we're self-corrective and have, understandably, mistaken defects for defenses and vice versa. In the time afforded me I try to teach a complex thing. I certainly appreciate how attentive the class was, but the effect of the teaching is little more than an introduction to life-long investigation and discussion.

That's hard to come by. After a week, no one new here has said a word.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Perhaps we don't want to sound stupid or offend you by not knowing your source material.

Culturally, we have a reverence for intellectual superiors or masters where we can't shake the nagging fear that we don't know enough. Maybe we have to risk sounding dumb in order to learn and reach the unattainable status of 'mastery'.

Comment

It's not the first time I've heard that students were intimidated by the therapists here, but I don't think that's what keeps so many silent.

The least they might do is allow us to welcome them.

I've also a lot to say about the "method" I use. "Mastery" is a word I never use.
            Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Care to let me in on the suggested book titles? I am curious
              Lasse Petersen
              BA in relaxation and Psychomotor Therapy

Comment

Perhaps there's a paradigm shift occurring in our thinking of manual care. I know the neurophysiology of pain has drastically altered how I provide care for my clients.

It's difficult not to think mesodermally. I hope we can discuss that here.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MinkiKimSI View Post
                  Perhaps there's a paradigm shift occurring in our thinking of manual care. I know the neurophysiology of pain has drastically altered how I provide care for my clients.

It's difficult not to think mesodermally. I hope we can discuss that here.

Yes we can.
                  You can use the search function to find old threads, which might be a good start.
                  Diane
                  www.dermoneuromodulation.com
                  SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
                  HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
                  Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                  Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
                  Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
                  @PainPhysiosCan
                  WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
                  @WCPTPTPN
                  Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
                  SomaSimple on Facebook
                  @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
                    You can use the search function to find old threads, which might be a good start.
                    It is important, too, to feel comfortable bumping older threads that are relevant, should you feel it beneficial.

It was helpful for me when I first joined the boards.

Respectfully,
                    Keith
                    Blog: Keith's Korner
                    Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Lasse,

Here's the list of books I suggest to students:

Nonconscious Movements – Herman H. Spitz

The Sensitive Nervous System – David Butler

Clinical Neurodynamics – Michael Shacklock

Pain: The Science of Suffering – Patrick Wall

A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness – V. S. Ramachandran

The Body Has a Mind of Its Own – Sandra and Matthew Blakeslee

On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not – Robert Burton

The Body in Pain: The Making and Unmaking of the World – Elaine Scarry

The Language of Pain – David Biro

The Culture of Pain – David Morris

Moving in On Pain – Edited by Michael Shacklock

The Brain That Changes Itself – Norman Doidge

Supernormal Stimuli – Dierdre Barrett

Illness and Culture in the Postmodern Age – David Morris

Mistakes Were Made (but not by me) – Tavris and Aronson

Many of these have been reviewed here and/or on my website All have been discussed, mainly in Barrett's Forums but elsewhere as well. There's more and I write about other books regularly.

I am trying and failing to send Minki my power point. It's too big. Any ideas?
                      Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 22-09-2015, 01:18 AM.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
                        I am trying and failing to send Minki my power point. It's too big. Any ideas?
                        You have a gmail acct, so you have a google drive account.

You can upload the file to your google drive (cloud storage) and then share a link with Minki.

Respectfully,
                        Keith
                        Blog: Keith's Korner
                        Twitter: @18mmPT

Comment

Thanks Keith. I'll try that.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

In my last email to you Barrett, I wrote some instructions. You can convert the ppt file into a zip file. Then, you can forward it to me.

Comment

Found this FAQ article is a good refresher on Simple Contact because this method of gentle contact feels so new to some of us.

http://www.barrettdorko.com/articles...le_contact.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X