No announcement yet.

Follow up after NYC workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Karen line's thread is just beautiful.

A big shout out to her!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Karen's left us. I certainly don't know why, but I wish her the best.

Anyway, the "beauty" she put into her thought and posts seems unmatched. Perhaps she saw the same in her work.

Minki, Perhaps you see something similar. From the NY course, you're it as far as posting goes.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I'll continue to share threads which I might find helpful for the others. Guess they'll post when they're ready.

Comment

Helpful explanation of how barrett elicits instinctive, nonconscious ideomotion in his patients.

http://barrettdorko.com/articles/cre...tient_wall.htm

Comment

Hi BD,

I just want to toot your horn for a minute and say I really enjoyed reading your book and the essays on your site as well (though there are lots to read there).

I know I'm learning a lot from your prose because I find myself rereading some of the essays and how it relates to my clinical life.

Please allow yourself to feel aggrandized if just for a few moments.

Comment

Minki,

I do feel aggrandized.

The book I gave to you was the last one I had like that but it will be reissued soon. I wrote a book much closer to "how to" but it languishes. Shallow Dive is more about what it's like to be a therapist.

Like you.
              Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 17-10-2015, 12:07 AM.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Minki,

It's been a while. Anything happening?
                Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Hi BD,

Some of have said they don't do forums. Whatever that means. And at the risk of speaking for others, some rather troll than participate.

Perhaps its the culture of academia at play here - we fear appearing stupid or ignorant in the face of debate, so therefore there's inaction. This is all speculation and my newfound fascination on the insidious effects of culture on all of us.

Comment

Minki says:

...we fear appearing stupid or ignorant in the face of debate...
                    True. Debate or not. I think the cognitive dissonance is too much. I might be wrong.
                    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Question. Or risk of a stupid question.

What's your approach when it comes to pain symptoms in the extremities especially in repetitive use cases? You speak of distant change occurring but it happens beyond our control, correct?

Comment

Think I've answered my own question. I had a particular client in mind when I asked my previous question.

I've concluded it's a peripheral issue due to occupational provocation. Though SC can help, perhaps frequent, direct manual contact is necessary.

Comment

I knew you'd figure this out Minki. The ultimate question regarding this situation is: Is the client/patient being paid to do this repetitive task? Therapists will often come up with a "proper" way of doing things - as if they knew.

Anyway, control is an illusion unless you're holding another hostage.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Yes this client makes a living doing this repetitive task with no end in sight. The things we do for money.

It's not my place to tell clients to stop working either.

Comment

Working...
                            X