No announcement yet.

Follow up after NYC workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrote this many years ago and it's still the case.

Thank you for reminding me of it.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

And Barrett, have you written any essays on fractals? I've only come across your reading list.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Search function

He has written lots.
        Just enter "fractal" into the search function (in the menu bar up top). Three pages of threads will come up. Look for the ones Barrett started.
        Diane
        www.dermoneuromodulation.com
        SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
        HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
        Neurotonics PT Teamblog
        Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
        @PainPhysiosCan
        WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
        @WCPTPTPN
        Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
        SomaSimple on Facebook
        @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Minki,

Any word from the others in attendance?
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Use google - enter 'Barrett Dorko fractals'. You'll get about 1800 possibilities.
            Diane
            www.dermoneuromodulation.com
            SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
            HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
            Neurotonics PT Teamblog
            Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
            Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
            @PainPhysiosCan
            WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
            @WCPTPTPN
            Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
            SomaSimple on Facebook
            @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Thanks Diane! I couldn't use the search function on SS on my phone. Shoulda just used the good ol Google machine. Had a big 'duh' moment.

Comment

Barrett, no. I've urged them to join SS and bring the discussion /questions/etc. here. Hope this changes.

Comment

Well, it's very common.

People somehow get through life, and my curiosity and passion are not theirs.

This situation is very much like the cop shows that speak of or are even named after a deadline of sorts. The deadline for the class in New York has long since passed. I enjoyed being there, and I enjoyed coming home.

It's the best I can hope for.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I believe you said you'd lean on us millennials to update your cultural references. Perhaps meeting them where they are will pique their interests.

I'm here to help though I declare I'm not a millennial. Still had a land line growing up and my Internet was dialup.

Comment

This cultural reference thing is a problem not only I face. I recall reading recently that the writers of Saturday Night Live started out in the 70s counting on about 50% of their audience to "get" the joke and that that's down to 10% now. This is no one's fault and the world isn't worse in someway for it - it just is. I've the same problem. Perhaps perspective would be a better word.

No one at any course has suggested how I might update my analogies. I'd use Breaking Bad, but I'm wondering what it has to do with therapy or pain. By now it's dated anyway.

Our attention is scattered. Living as we do in the midst of an ever-changing world of fashion, advertising and design doesn't help that much.

The course in New York was not effective in changing an approach to care because, well, because it didn't make any guarantees and I'm so full of uncertainty, I think.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post

The course in New York was not effective in changing an approach to care because, well, because it didn't make any guarantees and I'm so full of uncertainty, I think.
                        Although I did not have any opportunity to attent your course, I was wondering what happened as this kind of refelction comes out many times from you and other participants?

Thank you for your time,

Weni
                        Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 24-09-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

weni,

Admittedly, the teachers here are commonly unsuccessful in moving therapists toward thoughtful practice and away from more methods and tools. I can hardly blame the students. They are asked to wait, not know and behave in a way that is markedly counter cultural. But what I suggest can be defended with good evidence. I remain uncertain, and I don't lie about that. Moving as fashion does is something we need to look at more carefully. If people don't know what science has shown us, why should we mention such a thing?

As usual, method needs to be emphasized, I guess. Which is why the final step of putting on the paint is what advertisers show. Those who have ever painted anything know that preparing the surface is probably more important. It's (to me anyway) the boring part.

It doesn't help that I wrote Do Nothing long ago.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
                            Do you feel this way, because by the end of the course, you saw that the attendees were not open to your way of working? Or, do you feel this way because the attendees are not posting on this thread? Or, do you feel this way because you have been told by the attendees that they felt your approach to care was specifically something they never want to embrace in the future?

People are paying good money to listen to you speak. so, I would think the course has to be somewhat effective (as opposed to *not* effiective) for a certain number of people. Otherwise, they would not have plunked down the fee and then stayed throughout the entire thing. They simply would have walked out, if they were not interested, citing money lost, but taken hold of their time (in order to do something more worthwhile). Did they walk out on you?

I am interested to know how you come to a conclusion that your course was *not* effective.

"...moving therapists toward thoughtful practice and away from more methods and tools..."
                            I find that if people are interested enough to put money on the table, then you are probably producing something that makes them to consider working in new ways.

After all, there are plenty of other courses to choose from, and ways to spend ones free time.
                            C.O. ( gender: ) - LMT, BS(Anatomy), DC
                            Music Fog... pick a song to listen to... you can't go wrong.
                            Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

CO,

No one walks out. I've been teaching and writing for many years. I've also worked in many facilities.

Things are worse than they've ever been.
                              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Never have I seen someone walk out of a workshop.

I think I'm making a redundant statement but it might be worth repeating. We've grown so comfortable with our mesodermal ways, that it's hard to leave the nest.

You've planted the seed to think differently. It may not tangible or seen in written word but your contribution is priceless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                Working...
                                X