Random Thoughts VIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Thoughts VIII

Posted by Barrett<script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2004,8,21,10,19,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> (Member # 67) on 21-09-2004 17:19<noscript>September 21, 2004 10:19 AM</noscript>:

It’s been a quiet week in Cuyahoga Falls…

1) Last week I was invited to be the honored guest and primary speaker at the fourteenth annual “Prestige Speaker Day” event at Cleveland State University. Previous speakers include Marilyn Moffat, Florence Kendall, Jules Rothstein, Helen Hislop and Mother Theresa (okay, just kidding about that last one) so I’m wondering first of all how I landed this gig. Perhaps it’s just another example of how little I actually know about what others think of my work. Then again, every class generates a pile of speaker evaluation forms and I never, never look at them. Not ever.

But on October 18th I’ll drive the forty miles from my home, have a special brunch with the faculty and staff, teach a “master class” to the students, schmooze with them for a while and then deliver a talk at a large banquet that evening attended by a whole bunch of therapists from the region.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

2) Standing in a book store a few weeks ago I waited while the woman in front of me discussed an issue with the clerk. It was something about how she’d missed a contact with someone else working there but decided that this could be rectified with some sort of communication amongst the three of them and how this would take place the next day blah, blah, blah. After the fifth or sixth repetition of the story and what they planned to do I was preparing to take my book and whack her across the back of the head while shouting, “Okay! I got it! Now move so I can get out of here!”

For someone who exhorts his students to exercise patience with those they touch I can be remarkably short in situations like this. Anyone sensitive to the body language of frustration and impending violence would probably see this in me easily when I’m made to stand in line and listen to small talk or reiterations of previously stated messages. I notice that touching others helps me to dampen this tendency to a great degree, and I’m certainly grateful for that. My talkative patients should be too.

By the way, the book I was planning on using for a weapon was written by the Buddhist philosopher Thich Nhat Hanh. Kind of ironic, huh?

3) I’m taking a referral source out to lunch next week. This is a guy who started out quite enthusiastically sending me patients a few months ago but has slowed the pace of his referrals considerably since then. He asked me to call him about someone he wanted to send and expressed total and authentic surprise at my story about his absence from my practice.

It’s an old problem and one I doubt will ever disappear. I surprised myself when I offered the lunch idea. In my experience, it usually drives people away. I’m steeling myself for it and wonder why after all these years I can’t just accept the notion that physicians want something I seem unable to provide. What it is I can’t tell you. Maybe I’ll find out next week.

But I doubt it.
    Last edited by bernard; 30-12-2005, 05:54 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard
Working...
X