Kevin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin

Posted by Barrett<script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2004,4,3,16,58,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> (Member # 67) on 03-05-2004 23:58<noscript>May 03, 2004 04:58 PM</noscript>:

It’s been a quiet week in Cuyahoga Falls…
    Standing in the small foyer of the restaurant yesterday morning I noticed a couple of people inching past Kevin as he stood beside me. They contorted themselves in an effort to get by him and he stood solidly there, his eyes fixed on a point just outside of my vision. He seemed calm, content, his hands held together at his waist. If I were to commission a statue to be made of him I would choose this pose. He displayed absolutely no sense of the people struggling to get by him and, as always, seemed to take up more space than would commonly seem necessary or polite. I said nothing.
    I’m fascinated with the way memes grow in the culture. Ironically, even the concept of a meme itself has to make its way past uncountable numbers of competing ideas that have as their sole purpose their own replication in the brains of our species. “The Tipping Point,” a book I reviewed four years ago http://www.rehabedge.com/forums/Foru...ML/000018.html is essentially about this. When you have an original idea and want it to really spread you’re dependent upon this somewhat haphazard propagation of information whose success or failure relies upon much more than you can control. For me, the ideas surrounding the use of Simple Contact fill my head a large portion of the day but I can’t say I’ve been especially successful in getting that to happen in many of my colleagues. I keep trying though.
    Sometimes a buzz will start when an unexpected source mentions your ideas, even in a disparaging way. Today I’m grateful to Rush Limbaugh for making my brother’s way of being in the world less of a mystery to those around him. This is why: On Thursday last week there was a front page article about Asperger’s Syndrome in the New York Times. Limbaugh made a point of ridiculing its conclusions; that this is a genetically acquired personality variant that, while inconvenient for many, also creates a mental focus and path toward insight common to invention and positive cultural alteration. Limbaugh thinks that all of this is just some liberal conspiracy designed to create acceptance for behavior he doesn’t like. Predictably, he got some calls from listeners who felt he was simply wrong and mean-spirited to boot. Thanks for all the air time Rush! (See “With Death Comes Food” on my site for more about Asperger’s)
    Let’s see… Asperger’s makes the diagnostic lexicon in ’94, there’s a character on “Law and Order” (the killer, it happens) with it in 2003, “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” is a best seller late the same year, there are major stories about it in Time and Biography magazines in early 2004, last week’s New York Times, Limbaugh’s diatribe…Yes, the whole thing seems to be gaining momentum and “tipping” into the cultural consciousness might happen soon.
    I sat quietly with Kevin as I do every few Sundays that I can get away. I used the chair our mother always sat in. He lapsed into silence and I met him halfway there. After an hour I touched him lightly on the arm before I left. He never touches me. “I’ll call you soon,” I said, and he nodded wordlessly.
    I drove down the driveway, and I decided to write about him again.

<hr> Posted by Barrett (Member # 67) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2004,4,7,8,9,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 07-05-2004 15:09<noscript>May 07, 2004 08:09 AM</noscript>:

On May 5th, one of my favorite National Public Radio shows, "Fresh Air" hosted by Terry Gross http://www.npr.org/about/people/bios/tgross.html the subject was Asperger's syndrome. A great interview, one a researcher from Yale who wrote the description of the syndrome for the psychiatric community. He specifically discussed the changes in the brain we can now detect that explain the characteristic behaviors seen.

Three major media events in six days. It seems the culture is being informed, finally.
    Last edited by bernard; 30-12-2005, 06:03 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard
Working...
X