Simple Contact Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Contact Questions

Time for my first proper post on Somasimple!

I am very curious regarding simple contact the technique and Ideomotor activity the inert ability we have to self correct. I have practiced it personally and have felt the sensation of warming and softening to great relief. In particular, in supine I get quite a vigourous abdominal contraction (I have a scar from left to right across my abdomen).It got me thinking , I am curious to know how much correction do you commonly see in patients from session to session ? does it increase or decrease? does it get easier or more difficult for patients to elicit due to expectation and conscious awareness? and depending on the patients presenting history is the motion more subtle or more obvious.

Thanks

Paul
    Paul

Paul,

I get a 40% correction each time I'm with the patient.

Okay, I'm kidding.

I never knew how much I might improve when practicing anything, and there are many factors here.

As far as subtlety or obviousness goes, "Still waters run deep, unless they don't." You can't tell, well, you know.

Sometimes I was pretty sure people would do great and they didn't and vice versa.
    Last edited by Barrett Dorko; 12-05-2014, 01:38 PM.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

If I can add a personal anecdote, low evidence level as that may be: it got easier with practice for me.
      We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
      Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

Thanks Barrett and Bas:teeth:

Barrett

Was it a case of preparing the patient and nothing happened ? How do you explain when that happens or do you progress with other modalities until the patient is ready to 'let go' subconsciously and 'allow' self correction?

I find it easy to self elicit ideomotor activity and am amazed by some of the motion that occurs , but for someone who has subconsciously been inhibiting ideomotion for a long time can they appear frightened of this sudden movement and of not being in control ?

Barrett & Bas

Do you practice ideomotion on yourself? or do you get treated by other therapists ? I asked Leon Chaitow (tutor on my Hdip Nmt course) if he gets treatment and he answered with and emphatic 'Heavens No!'

Paul
        Paul

Comment

Paul,

Yes, it's certainly possible for me to fail. This will stop when I'm de...wait a minute.

Who's to say how people get to be the way they are? It's a complex issue. Heck, how I've become the way I am is something I work on regularly. You haven't watched the Sopranos, have you?

Doesn't fear alter our expression of many things in many directions? Your patient will act as if they're human.

Uh-oh
          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Thanks Barrett

The reaction from the patient I guess is based on the environment we create for them ? I am begininning to understand this is probably a bigger factor for a more favourable response from patients despite anything manual we might do.

I have not seen the sopranos, but just recently started House of Cards! :thumbs_up
            Paul

Comment

Paul,

Yes, context is more important than it has been given credit for despite the obvious nature of its effect on pain and movement.

House of Cards is a great start. Now you're on your way.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

With regards to getting treated by others: the occasional massage, because I can.
                Ideomotion? Will do it much more by myself after this past weekend workshop.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

Comment

Bas, I know you know this:

Ideomotion is inherent to life and you seemed to be alive this weekend.

What would be a good idea is attention to it, personal permission to allow it to grow, mindfulness of its expression and regularly dosing yourself with expression while watching TV.

That last one has some problems inherent to it.

Welcome to life.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Why so Bas (regarding the Ideomotion)?

I will take your online course soon Barrett , obviously not as good as the real thing but I'm a bit far away!

Paul
                    Paul

Comment

I find eliciting ideomotion on myself far, far easier than on others. That's because I understand myself far better than I understand them, naturally.

Context is all important. In a rowdy clinic it would be quite difficult, I suspect.
                      As for preparation, I would not have a clue about consciously doing any prep.
                      They stand or sit and I shut up, as I do with myself.
                      Of course there would be chit chat beforehand to establish a rapport and maybe assure that I am not going to do anything TO them at first. Rousing a sense of curiosity maybe helps too.

Nari

Comment

Paul:
                        Why so Bas (regarding the Ideomotion)?
                        because I need it and was dumb enough not to use it often enough!

And yes, Barrett, that is exactly what I meant with "do it more by myself".

I am just not eloquent. To use a Canadian musical reference: "I can't find the words".

Comment

Bas,

No need to thank me.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
                          X