Playing with Simple Contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with Simple Contact

Yesterday I had a client come in who had recently recovered from the flu and just wanted a soothing, relaxing massage. I did just a little work with some effluerage (long, relaxing) strokes to his neck and shoulders and then gently handled his head.

He immediately went into ideomotion and I wanted to check in with him, but heard a little snore, so didn't ask him anything. After following it for a bit, I ended the session.

Afterwards, he told me that the front of his neck had been feeling really "tight" and now it felt very loose, warm and he felt very relaxed. I talked to him a little about what we had done.
    "The danger is not that the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but that, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry" (Simone Weil)

Rajam,

Having spent two days explaining this, I don't suppose I have to do that again.

Wonderful job incorporating Simple Contact into your work.
    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Hi Rajam,

What ideomotion you observed?? And what did you say to him about that outcome??

Is "Snore" one type of ideomotion??

Regards,

Weni

Comment

We need to remember that ideomotion is always present; that it's inherent to life.

What the therapist does is create a context that catalyzes a larger expression of it. Simple Contact appears to be a reasonable way of doing this.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

This is a wonderful way in which massage people can incorporate Simple Contact. It happens in almost everyone of my sessions.

And whereby one understands the fractal nature of the nervous continuum and the anatomy of the skin organ; how it's one big Fuzz Ball and most importantly, how massage seesions are designed-at least 60 minutes (very important this IMO-the one on one interaction too.) of cutaneous input in a very warm, dimly lit environment-doing this is defensible.

It can be a good way to get this going :

[YT]Gd2NaGZa7M4[/YT]

Coupled with some accessible pain science info and how important it is to keep moving, I think it is a very reasonable way in which we can provide a service to help people manage pain and stress.
          Last edited by caro; 16-01-2014, 07:59 PM.
          Carol Lynn Chevrier LMT
          " The truth is, people may see things differently. But they don't really want to. '' Don Draper.

Comment

Originally posted by caro View Post
            This is a wonderful way in which massage people can incorporate Simple Contact. It happens in almost everyone of my sessions.
            Although I have never taken the class, I too have found that this is an easy way to incorporate Simple Contact into a session. I don't find that it happens in more than about 10% of my sessions though.
            C.O. ( gender: ) - LMT, BS(Anatomy), DC
            Music Fog... pick a song to listen to... you can't go wrong.
            Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

This thread has me thinking.

weni asks in post#3 "What ideomotion?" and Curious One states later that he sees the expression (I think that's what he's implying) about 10% of the time.

Can anyone else appreciate my frustration?

Ideomotion is corrective in the sense that it instinctively emerges constantly, catalyzed to a larger extent by the therapist, and it is present 100% of the time but normally inhibited.

At the recent workshop, wasn't it visible, palpable and , at least, sensed by everybody?
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

For those having trouble eliciting ideomotion - take a close look at a very young child who has not be bludgeoned into standing straight and sitting still.
                Nature abhors a vacuum and the brain abhors a lack of movement. Patients need to be given permission to move as they feel like doing - even if it is only a tiny movement.

Nari

Comment

Nari, You're right of course, but I'd like to emphasize that it's already there, just suppressed.

These are the movements in us that our poker opponents (there are many additional examples) look for.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Can ideomotion also be catalyzed through education about pain and encouragment to move/exercise?
                    Rob Willcott Physiotherapist

Comment

Yes. Demonstration helps as well.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

but I'd like to emphasize that it's already there, just suppressed.
                        Maybe I didn't say that, but I intend(ed) (sic) it.

Nari

Comment

I know you did Nari.

It's amazing to me how many therapists are easily mislead though. This, I think, is a function of how overwhelming sight is in the human species. People believe what the see, and they typically see very little of that which is available.

However, expertise in countless fields includes an appreciation for subtlety.

I can think of many examples, but I'd love to hear what comes to mind from others.
                          Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
                            This thread has me thinking.

weni asks in post#3 "What ideomotion?" and Curious One states later that he sees the expression (I think that's what he's implying) about 10% of the time.

Can anyone else appreciate my frustration?

Ideomotion is corrective in the sense that it instinctively emerges constantly, catalyzed to a larger extent by the therapist, and it is present 100% of the time but normally inhibited.

At the recent workshop, wasn't it visible, palpable and , at least, sensed by everybody?
                            First, I am female. I don't know why, but this is the second time someone on this forum has assumed I am male. But, I added my gender in the signature line, just to clarify.

Thanks for re-stating what I was trying to say. Your translation of my words makes more sense. But, I must be missing what I said that is frustrating to you. Could you take time to explain your frustration.

I find that many times I am saying things in a way that frustrates others via this forum, even when I actually am in the range, so-to-say. Then, once they say their piece, I am thinking, "Now why wasn't I able to verbalize that better?".

As a side note, because I know in the future someone will come across this thread and want to read more, here is a cross-thread: Oh My God I Got It!
                            C.O. ( gender: ) - LMT, BS(Anatomy), DC
                            Music Fog... pick a song to listen to... you can't go wrong.
                            Need relaxation samples for your office? I have made a Deep Relaxation Massage Music Pandora Station and have others that may also be useful - about 8 massage music stations and about 49 other nifty options.

Comment

The problem is that avatar.

It was that 10% assertion.
                              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Working...
                              X