Global Resources for Therapists - feat. Barrett Dorko

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Resources for Therapists - feat. Barrett Dorko

Global Resources for Therapists recently interviewed Barrett and have posted the interview on Youtube.

[YT]OeqCLqLStK4[/YT]

If you recall, this (like the Eyal Lederman interview) will likely go behind a pay-wall in the future, so be sure to check it out while you can!

Respectfully,
    Keith
    Blog: Keith's Korner
    Twitter: @18mmPT

Great interview- I shared it with my Feldenkrais group, I hope they watch it as I think it will help them understand the functional integration portion of Feldenkrais.
    "The danger is not that the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but that, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry" (Simone Weil)

Comment

The video didn't record which is why there's only a photo. It was just me moving my mouth anyway.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Feldenkrais' ideas have always impressed me. Maybe his students, even generations after his passing will one day take their rightful place.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I'm nearing the end of the first year and thus far haven't learned about the mechanisms of why we are using functional integration. My teacher has put some good books on the reading list such as The Brain That Changes Itself and other similar types, and we are told that more will be explained later.

Good thing I've been able to peruse and learn so much from somasimple or I would be thoroughly lost right now, as I know most of my classmates are.

From what I understand, there are those Feldenkrais practitioners who feel that using it in PT - a quote from a Feldenkrais practitioner:

Feldies seem to "regard his method as a kind of "physical therapy in a new age". This type of irresponsible attitude will soon turn the Feldenkrais Method into a very technical, narrowly defined tool of physical therapy, which would be far from what Moshe envisioned"

I don't really understand how you can put Feldenkrais into a "narrowly defined tool" and I completely disagree with that statement and I do realize there is similar types of drama amongst those who are involved in any field of study.
          "The danger is not that the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but that, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry" (Simone Weil)

Comment

Looking forward to giving this a listen when I get home tonight. Thank you to Global Resources and Barrett for making this available here.
            Kenneth Venere PT, DPT
            @kvenere
            Physiological

Comment

Rajam,

I know I'm not the only one wondering about this "narrow focus." I also wonder about the amount of time spent in training to say nothing of the expense. Again, I'm not alone there.

To me, Feldenkrais was a wonderful teacher (four days) but did not always write in a fashion that made what he thought clear to others. Still, many years later the writing is available and the neuroscience I feel he would have appreciated has been articulated and found reliable. It seems something is holding the Feldenkrais community back while champions such as myself age rapidly.
              Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Yes, I agree- it is expensive. I was also informed that when I finish my training and use Feldenkrais- I need to stick to what I learned and not combine it with anything.

I will probably break that rule and use it in combination with what I'm learning here and beyond. I'm fortunate my instructor's husband is a professor of cognitive science at UCSD, so I think that is a good thing and is why she is teaching with some attention to neuroscience.

Comment

Not "combine" it?

I really don't get that, but I'm growing even more uneasy about what's being done with Feldenkrais' name.

I spent a weekend with Betty Fuller, a Trager and Feldenkrais practitioner. Her story was that she brought these two together (the men themselves) and they treated each other to great effect and the delight of both.

I watched Feldenkrais rage at people who wanted to know what they should do for a specific joint and now I see that there are "Feldenkrais exercises" for low back pain. I imagine he's spinning.
                  Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

presentation

Barrett,

I enjoyed the presentation. I came away with a better understanding of why you are not self referential. I tend to use a lot of movie and old TV references. I don't know that i will leave my stories out but i have an appreciation of another road to take

Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard.

To me, movies and TV shows can't exist without a story within. What they give us is a common connection, and that's what I might use to get "in."

My personal stories are given out sparingly, but occasionally I find them useful.
                      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

This video with Barrett is for the SomaSimple members from Global Resources for Therapists. We will be doing more for you, just let me know what topics you guys are looking for? Email me at dinofit@yahoo.ie

Comment

Dead link now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                          Working...
                          X