No announcement yet.

Ideomotion Simple Contact understanding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, unwinding MAY be ideomotion from the patient, but much more likely ideomotion (or much worse) from the therapist. The expectations of the therapist, combined with the mental model the therapist applies to his/her hands, combined with the explanation already offered to the patient about getting their "fascia released", sets up a situation that is unlikely to result in true patient ideomotion.
    We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are - Anais Nin

I suppose it's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.
    Cmdr. Chris Hadfield on rise of poor / pseudo science

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack

Comment

The body?

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
      There are some forms of “unwinding” that can lead to extreme movement. Rather than being a subtle, pleasurable dance they can become cathartic and almost violent in their nature. The safely factor is all but gone in my opinion. Advocates of these methods say it helps you get rid of buried emotions etc, and clients often feel good afterwards.

The problem is the body can not tell the difference between real and non-real threats. I believe that some people feel better because of the release of chemicals associated with fight or flight situations. I believe that this is a short term chemical relief but runs the risk of actually deepening trauma and increasing the neuromatrix's association of danger with those positions. I have significant reservations about the long term benefits of these cathartic "unwindings" for some people.

Gentle, subtle ideomotion is, I believe, more mowerful than less subtle forms, and bring much less risks with it.
      I'm reviving this thread to ask what "the body" refers to above, and if "short-term chemical relief" associated with "flight or flight situations" could actually increase "neuromatrix's association of danger" and contribute to long-term potentiation of pain.

Does "the body" in the above quote refer to what Diane Jacobs calls the Inner Jellyfish (peripheral nervous system minus motor neurons and visceral afferent system) and Critter Brain (spinal cord and brainstem, and hypothalamus, a few bits of ancient cortex - insular cortex, anterior cingulate, limbic, also motor output but not very sophisticated, mostly there to approach mates or prey or escape being somebody else's lunch.) versus the Human Brain (Voluntary control of striated muscle)?

This seems highly relevant when choosing between interventions that aim to avoid intense sensations in order to avoid nociception, and those that allow for intensity and nociception as long as it contributes to descending modulation.

In short, I'm asking: Could something that feels good to the patient in the short-term prolong their pain in the long-term?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X