Simple Contact - implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Contact - implementation

Posted by gwenpt<script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,11,12,45,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> (Member # 5499) on 11-11-2005 19:45<noscript>November 11, 2005 12:45 PM</noscript>:

I had the pleasure of attending Barrett's Simple Contact course and found it to be very informative and most importantly, scientifically based. I work in a Occupational Health setting; primarily treating acute workman's comp cases. I have used Simple Contact with some success particulary in my chronic "lateral epicondylitis" patients. However, I have found difficulty introducing this technique to patients as well as referring MDs. My patients tend to be skeptical and a bit wary of this "out there" technique. If anyone could offer some suggestions to me so that I could better incorporate this into my practice, I would be very grateful as I feel it is an excellent technique.

Kind Regards,

Gwen Crawford, PT
    Louisville, KY
    <hr> Posted by Barrett (Member # 67) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,11,18,0,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 12-11-2005 01:00<noscript>November 11, 2005 06:00 PM</noscript>:

Gwen,

Ironically, I might not be the best person to answer this question, but my impression is this: therapists with this sort of difficulty are inappropriately emphasizing what you are doing rather than the nature of abnormal dynamics and self-correction.

If your patients are objecting, if they are expressing doubt, if they leave thinking you are anything other than knowledgable and committed to their ability to care for themselves, you're getting a reaction I stopped seeing long ago, if I ever saw it at all. I'm convinced that this is because of what I convey verbally and nonverbally about the situation at hand, not because of what I do. Remember, Simple Contact is a method of communication, not a way of moving others.

Hang in there. I appreciate your kind comments about the course.
    <hr> Posted by Luke R (Member # 3561) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,11,20,29,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 12-11-2005 03:29<noscript>November 11, 2005 08:29 PM</noscript>:

Gwen,

Similarly as Barrett has suggested, I have found that discussion of neurodynamics, pain physiology, intstinctive behaviours, the subconscious etc is more than enough to avoid being perceived as "out there". Rather than making a speech, I use an understanding of these things to explain the patients experiences as they emerge during the treatment.

Luke
    <hr> Posted by Eric Matheson (Member # 2368) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,11,23,37,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 12-11-2005 06:37<noscript>November 11, 2005 11:37 PM</noscript>:

Gwen
    Like you I work almost exclusively with workers compensation cases. I don't kow what other's experiences are, but I have found this frequently adds a very large, difficult barrier to trying anything new. There can be simply be too many competing interests. I call it the 'elephant in the room.' One way I have tried to overcome this is to review past treatment, which is typically unsuccesful if they have been in the system long enough to see me, and ask "hows that been working for you?" If I can get them to acknowledge that its not working very well, sometimes, I can gain their consent for a round of Simple Contact.
    The elephant is absent when I see other non-insurance type patients.

Eric
    <hr> Posted by gwenpt (Member # 5499) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,12,21,59,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 13-11-2005 04:59<noscript>November 12, 2005 09:59 PM</noscript>:

Thanks so much for the posts. I suppose after 14 years of practice, it is going to take me some time to unlearn old habits! I believe the more comfortable I become with the research, the better I can convey to my patients how they can help themselves. I realize that my lack of adequate communication is what is creating the barrier to treatment. Keep the posts coming!

Gwen
    <hr> Posted by Mike T. (Member # 4226) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,15,11,33,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 15-11-2005 18:33<noscript>November 15, 2005 11:33 AM</noscript>:

Gwen,

I have had some of the same issues, so I appreciate the post. The replies given have already been stated in other threads, but I apparently don't change habits easily because I need to keep on hearing the answers again and again.

mike t
    <hr> Posted by Barrett (Member # 67) on <script language="JavaScript1.3" type="text/javascript"> document.write(timestamp(new Date(2005,10,15,12,19,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0)); </script> 15-11-2005 19:19<noscript>November 15, 2005 12:19 PM</noscript>:

I think we all know that plowing through old memes driven by common expectation and comfort with familiar rituals is a difficult task. At least it's not thankless, well, pretty much.

I find it helpful to point out to my patient that their system is self-corrective, as opposed to self-healing, and that if I were to twist any body part and then let go they would display and experience that. I ask, "Why not move correctively elsewhere? Is it possible that if you were made aware of this desire to move and given permission to do so that you would take advantage? What are the muscles that drive speech like when you hold your tongue? How is that different from the muscles that move your spine?

These are all examples from my class. I'm wondering if you've used them, and at what approximate point in relation to your actually handling another. Often I see therapists behave subtly in ways that ablate spontaneous expression by the patient. This isn't always obvious, but the effect is quite powerful.

Try this: Just before you reach to handle another's torso ask, "Ever see Alien ?"

See what kind of response you get.
    Last edited by bernard; 29-12-2005, 06:01 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. L VINCI
    We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. I NEWTON

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not a bit simpler.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    bernard
Working...
X