Latest Weyand/Bundle Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Latest Weyand/Bundle Paper

For those interested in the Bundle and Weyand lomcotion research, here is the latest:

Sprint Exercise Performance: Does Metabolic Power Matter?

The paper is a detailed analysis of some of the material he presented here in Illinois two years ago--when our clinic organizers put him in the cafeteria...

http://smu.edu/education/APW/Locomot...ndArticles.asp

There are some great lines in that paper. Here is one of my favorites:

‘‘It is obvious that we cannot pursue our (metabolic energy supply) argument to times below about 50 s,’’ because these performances are limited by factors ‘‘mechanical and nervous." Nonetheless, nearly a century after Hill published his conclusion, the supply-limit models he inspired continue to be applied to the very sprint performances that he recognized they could not explain."

Once you're at the SMU site, scroll down on the left and take a look at the videos. The slow-mo of the force tracings is especially significant. Note when forces peak. This is certainly not intuitive, since many believe there is a big "push-off" in the latter stages of the stance period.

You will also see a clip of the testing done with paralympian Oscar Pistorius.

Comment

That slow motion video is fascinating.
      Byron Selorme -SomaSimpleton and Science Based Yoga Educator
      Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Barry Ross was doing a seminar, and asked what he could do to get coaches and trainers to grasp that forces peak in the first third of stance, a concept that is just not intuitive to those who aren't studying locomtoion. I told him to simply keep replaying one of the SMU videos in the background as he was speaking.

He kept that running on a big screen almost the whole time time. He let me know that, gradually during his presentation, more of those in attendance were getting it.

Comment

Working...
        X