Why the change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the change?

When Melzack "simplified" the pain neuromatrix Venn diagram he took a few things out (especially "trigger points" for which I'm very grateful) and this was to be expected.

But he also changed the lower left side of the model from Motivational-Affective to Emotion Related.

I think this could use some discussion, especially since I'm going to lecturing on the change before long and I'd like to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts on this?
    Barrett L. Dorko

I take it to mean the internal regulation system. Spinal cord, brainstem, hypothalamus, hippocampus, amygdalae, insular and anterior cingulate cortices. All the stuff that maintains the organism, keeps the heart beating, lungs breathing, puts us to sleep, wakes us up, and makes us "feel" stuff, and by that I do not mean in the haptic sense but rather in the emotional or motivational sense.
    Diane
    www.dermoneuromodulation.com
    SensibleSolutionsPhysiotherapy
    HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
    Neurotonics PT Teamblog
    Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
    Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
    @PainPhysiosCan
    WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
    @WCPTPTPN
    Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
    SomaSimple on Facebook
    @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

Diane,

I had to wait nearly 20 minutes for that response. Do you think I have all day? (ha, ha)

I also had to Google "haptic" but now I can act as if I always knew what it was.

Anyway, thanks. I think I can fashion a comment from that.
      Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

It is possible within the literature that the term emotion related regulation is more common then motivational-affective in current circles. I would agree with Diane about the areas included in this input area.

I wonder if it is just a case like what Moseley talked about in the recent GMI Handbook. Some call it Neurotags, others may use neurosignature while still others cortical representations. Different words all meaning the same thing, just depends what circle of people you might be talking with. He also talks about use of left/right judgments or implicit motor imagery should technically be used instead of laterality, but laterality recognition is "in" so that is what you will probably hear it referred to in many circles of conversation.

This is just a guess, there may be a more distinct reason for the change.
        Kory Zimney, PT, DPT

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei

Comment

The word "emotion" subsumes "motivation" and "affective" in one swipe, and it's more recognizable while being less technical-sounding.

Therefore, it is not only simpler, but it's more minimal, as all good scientists strive to be.

And, yes, I have used the term "subsume" twice today. That's a personal best, I'm sure.
          John Ware, PT
          Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
          "Nothing can bring a man peace but the triumph of principles." -R.W. Emerson
          “If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
          be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3

Comment

Barrett,
            I think everyone is right on with their responses. Emotion is in Merskey's definition "Pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience..." The idea of e.motion as efferent activity is a central point in my lecture in Tampa this weekend.
            It is noteworthy that Melzak says emotion related. After all it is on the L side of the diagram.
            Gil
            Last edited by Gil Haight; 06-06-2012, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
              Diane,

I had to wait nearly 20 minutes for that response. Do you think I have all day? (ha, ha)

I also had to Google "haptic" but now I can act as if I always knew what it was.

Anyway, thanks. I think I can fashion a comment from that.

I have a good picture of it, if you're interested.

I love the word "subsume"...
              Diane
              Neurotonics PT Teamblog
              @PainPhysiosCan
              @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
              SomaSimple on Facebook
              @somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire

Comment

I would subsume that pictures are always welcome.
                Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

I meant to say L side of the diagram. I edited original
                  Gil

Comment

Thanks Gil. I was wondering.

When do you leave for Tampa?
                    Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Barrett,
                      We're getting there Thurs. eve. I'll be looking for contacts on Friday. Maybe Pam White will be there. As you can see no one on this site has indicated any interest, but I'm not taking it personally and will certainly be promoting the work here because I believe it is so valuable. I'll let you know how it goes.
                      Gil

Comment

Great to hear Gil.

Somebody from here has to be there. Please let us know what you can.
                        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Here you are Barrett. I usually use this image on the same slide as the image from Ossipov depicting the descending modulation system. They are nearly identical. Ossipov's image has the rostral centers added. I compare the two to show people they are mostly the exact same thing.
                          Attached Files
                          Diane
                          Neurotonics PT Teamblog
                          @PainPhysiosCan
                          @WCPTPTPN

@dfjpt
                          SomaSimple on Facebook
                          @somasimple

Comment

Working...
                          X