Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bas Asselbergs View Post
    This is what I would do in your shoes.
    Thanks Bas, I had written a long reply to you but it seems to have evaporated.
    Byron Selorme -SomaSimpleton and Science Based Yoga Educator
    Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Quite recently I elicited ideomotion on a two-year old.
      She was being fractious (as 2 yr olds tend to be) so I sat her down on the floor with me and laid my hand on her lower neck.
      She has always enjoyed being touched, but this time she sat very still and stared into space.
      After a moment she began a subtle swaying, which I followed, and she calmed down completely. Then she said: More! but that lasted only a few moments before she jumped up and started playing with her toys.

It seemed to change her mood considerably. I would be interested if anyone else has had similar experiences with very young children.

Nari

Comment

I have.
        Barrett L. Dorko

Comment

Me too
          Michael Reoch
          www.wellandable.ca

PPGPain

Comment

I have as well
            Michael Reoch
            www.wellandable.ca

PPGPain

Comment

As have I.
              Carol Lynn Chevrier LMT
              " The truth is, people may see things differently. But they don't really want to. '' Don Draper.

Comment

I don't wish to detract from Byron's thread, but it seems that the more educated we become with respect to body movement plus the older we get, the more difficult it is to elicit ideomotion for the first time.

Kids in general would be more open to novel concepts such as ideomotion, so the paediatric component of society should, in theory, be ripe for the corrective movements of ideomotion. I'm also thinking of kids under the autism spectrum who can have periods of fiercely repetitive motor activity. However their dorso-lateral prefrontal cortices and other areas may prevent a resolution.

Mike, (Pedsphysio) Any ideas ?

Nari

Comment

Hi,

has anyone seen this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXkPb2YfTdA no offending anyone.

Is Doze a ideomotion???

I could really see Proud's point.

How we could become an interactor, not interfering clinets' movement??? Do we really get someone to teach to get it or what else we can do to make it happen???

Weni

Comment

Poor baby!

He's two thirds asleep and manages to consciously stop himself falling at least once. It's not ideomotion. One does not lose balance during instinctive movements.

Nari

Comment

Originally posted by nari View Post
                      I don't wish to detract from Byron's thread, but it seems that the more educated we become with respect to body movement plus the older we get, the more difficult it is to elicit ideomotion for the first time.
                      I am all too happy to see discussions develop Nari. I thought it might help others to see what I was trying and faced with. Grist for the mill.
                      Shavasana Yoga Center

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman

Comment

Hi Bryon,

I see this thread is a few months old, so maybe this is of no use anymore. If you are still having problems it might be worth consider doing ideomotion lying supine and beginning with a leg. Once both legs have been done a few times, arms in supine, followed by entire shoulder girdle and arm in side lying. Could be a good way to easy you into things and get unassisted idiomotion going. If this works, when you feel ready progress to assisted neck / torso in lying and then sitting.

Comment

Hi Nairb,

Thanks for chipping in. I am getting better at the movement now.

At the time I was also taking 1200mg Gabapentin. I have a theory that perhaps the nerve dampening aspect of that medication was playing a role. I have not had that level of "jerkiness" repeat itself now that I have weaned off the meds although I do still get twitches. Don't know.

Lying down is a much better option. Bas also coached me on Chair Slouching :thumbs_up

Thanks again.
                          Shavasana Yoga Center

Comment

I've witnessed similar events in those who had attended a "somatic re education " seminar, at a hippy festival in the south of NSW.
                            The "handlers"would touch the punters, in much the same way, but the atmosphere and attitudes of participants lead them to moan, twitch, bark and carry on like demented frogs in heat for long periods of time.
                            This was entertainment for some, though explained, in terms reminiscent of the "explanation" for Reiki, as " the body attempting to rid itself of past hurts"
                            Can't help wondering about the similarities here.
                            Attention seeking ?, response according to expectations?, novel movements unconsciously produced to satisfy the "handler".
                            But, hey , what would I know.
                            Last edited by ginger; 16-12-2011, 03:55 AM.
                            :lightbulb vox clamantis in deserto

Geoff Fisher
                            Physiotherapist

Comment

Originally posted by byronselorme View Post
                              Thank you again for your responses.

Hi Martin, I like Feldenkrais movements as well as the Hanna Somatics that Diane introduced me to. I am able to move quite smoothly and freely in so many ways. Can always review it further though. I do know that there is tension in the areas that "jerk". We shall see if allowing them do react this way is ultimately helpful.

Here is a quick video of "The Jerks". I have to admit, my mirror neurons do not like watching this video.

[YT]MKMSFgso-UQ[/YT]

I am now only going to have my wife do this with me on lying down to stop and righting reflexes or fear responses from frustrating me.
                              When I am lying down at least I don't have as much concern for gravity taking the movements too far.

It really does not feel like the movements are a fear response. That happens to me after they have happened. I constantly keep questioning myself to see if it is the conscious me that is doing the movements. I keep getting the answer "no".
                              I've worked with people who've responded in a very similar manner and, in fact, one of my clients with a "bad shoulder" did so this morning! My 2 cents is that it's unresolved nervous energy or in other words your nervous system is trying to re-initiate and complete a stalled orienting and/or protective response and this accounts for both the jerky movement and emotions that arise afterwards.
                              “Don’t believe everything you think.”

Comment

Originally posted by byronselorme View Post
                                Hi Nairb,

Thanks for chipping in. I am getting better at the movement now.

At the time I was also taking 1200mg Gabapentin. I have a theory that perhaps the nerve dampening aspect of that medication was playing a role. I have not had that level of "jerkiness" repeat itself now that I have weaned off the meds although I do still get twitches. Don't know.

Lying down is a much better option. Bas also coached me on Chair Slouching :thumbs_up

Thanks again.
                                Nice to hear that things are going better for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X