SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 29-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Aspiringphysio

Default Text recommendation

I was wondering if you learned beings could help me out with what, if either, text book I should buy.
This year we have a new 'required text' for our neurorehab component, I haven't had much chance to get a good look at it as its on close reserve at our med library so we can only get it out for 2 hours and it must stay in the library. The only time I actually have a free slot to get it out is when I am past reading anything and getting anything out of it (I have a previous mtbi that limits my usable daily cognition).
I dont want to part out over $100 for a book if it turns out that my precious money would be better spent.

The previous required text was Carr and Shepherd (1998) Neurological Rehabilitation. Optimising Motor Performance.

This years text is Shumway-Cook and Woollacott (2007) Motor Control: Translating Research into Clinical Practice.

I hear a lot of my classmates groaning about this new text but as I haven't actually read it in any fit state I dont think I can comment (and I also think that they are not completely interested in learning, a lot of them want to be spoon fed still).

I also think that a lot of the tutors say that the Carr and Shepherd is still pretty good but then why would they have changed it? I think I could pick up a second hand copy of this though.

So if anybody knows and could give me a heads up on if either of these I would love for any advice, I just need to have a text at home that I can read when I am able rather than just rely on the scant information we are given in lectures.
Thanks in advance for any help
Old 29-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Hello Felicia

I don't know anything about the Shumway-Cook/Woollacott text, but Carr and Shepherd have been legendary Australian rehab physios who promoted motor control approaches which finally became world-wide. They were the first to move away from the orthopaedic-style rehab line in the early 1980s and were regarded with some trepidation by the ortho hardliners. Carr and Shepherd were quite pedantic, but that was needed to shift the mindset of the orthopaedic thinkers.

It's a good text and user-friendly.

One of its predecessors was Key Issues in Neurological Physiotherapy (Butterworth Heinemann 1990), which includes a comprehensive section on ICU management of TBI. Again, readable with tonnes of references...

Some of our recent PT grads who are around on this site hopefully can assist with the Shumway text.

Nari

Last edited by nari; 29-07-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typos
nari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,754 Posts

The "Pain: A textbook for for therapists" text is good, and recent. Jenny Strong is one of the authors.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
EricM
Arbiter

Felicia,
Shumway-Cook is/was a very good book for neuro rehab. As is Carr and Shephard. I had them both. As for requiring either of them? As a student I think if you can borrow either of them long enough to make your notes you'll be fine. Depending on what area you start working in after graduation, you can decide then which books you want to permanently line your bookshelf.

I'm a 2003 AUT grad myself. Are you in Auckland or Dunedin?
Old 29-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Aspiringphysio

Thanks for the info, people.

Eric does that mean you didnt buy many textbooks as a student? I dont think I would survive having to live even more at uni so I could spend as much time as I need in the library reading and re reading chapters.
I'm a Dunedin student, I got into AUT but as I'm from the South Island and had already spent a year at Otago I was set on staying here although I was suprised Otago even offered me a place considering all the headaches I caused!
Old 30-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
polymacca

Default Re: recommended text

Hi, am a 1997 AUT grad, and still use Carr & Shephards approach and recommend their text. However it's the pt outcomes that matter rather than the text that's used, so regardless of which you use take what you can out of them and apply them clinically, took me years of clinical practice to garner that pearl of knowledge, rather than saying I'm bobath, NDT, carr & shephard approach therapist I prefer PT witha neuro-bias. Glad to see there are other NZ PT's on this forum.
polymacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

polymacca,

I totally agree.
It was a saying some of us muttered for decades: take what seems logical and sensible out of Bobath, C&S et al in order to apply the most efficient clinical reasoning to any particular patient.

New grads tend to follow one 'method' and that is fine for a while, but other methods, as long as they are neuro-based, need to be incorporated for optimum results. It takes time.
A lot depends on the supervisor's understanding of the neurorehab process, rather than the writings of particular researchers.

Nari
nari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #8
gilbert

You need to read both of them, in my opinion, however you get access to them. They are both excellent texts covering the basics of the movement sciences and their application to neuro rehab. I found that because both books cover similar material but with slightly different emphasis, reading both really helped with understanding it. The Carr & Shepherd book probably has more practical treatment ideas based on a motor learning approach.
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
EricM
Arbiter

Felicia,
Actually I bought every text I could when I was a student, a foolish thing to do as a student on a tight budget. They were all available in the library anyways and the pain of hauling them all back to Canada with me was hardly worth it. But do read them though, for the reasons other have mentioned.
Old 30-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
Erica

Felicia,
I also had both of these books as a student and did buy them both-but I agree, if you can get by with reading them in the library, you should be fine. As a practicing therapist they are great references I have to admit!
Erica
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #11
Aspiringphysio

Thanks for all your replies people, now all I need to know is where I can get a brain that will actually allow me to retain some of the great information that is to be found in those textbooks!

polymacca and nari what you say is so true, we have a tutor who drives us mad with his riddle questions. He is trying to beat into us how nothing is clear, nothing is black and white and we need to use the information we get wisely and keep up with current research.
I actually really like how we are learning things but I wonder how many of us look up the references we get at the end of each lecture? I have had Buttler and Moseley on loan for almost 4 weeks and it hasnt been recalled, and more than half the Topical issues in pain series, as well as a few more books that have been recommended and nobody seems to want them...

I really like this tutor's favourite saying "treat every patient like they are your Mother, Father, brother or sister, how you would want them to be treated" I wish all health care professionals treated their patients like that!
Old 30-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
marcel
SomaSimpler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiringphysio View Post
, we have a tutor who drives us mad with his riddle questions. He is trying to beat into us how nothing is clear, nothing is black and white and we need to use the information we get wisely and keep up with current research.
I graduated in '89 and had similar teachers. Ideas that where quite new then are outdated now.

Cheers

"There is no such thing as a standard or run-of-the-mill human being," Stephen Hawking
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #13
polymacca

hi aspiringphysio,

when I went through AUT in 1997 we had a fantastic group of neuro clinical educators/lecturers who challenged us academically and clinically, it wasn't enough to want to treat "because it was what the text book said" but why have you selected this method or rather course of tx what is the rationale and importantly to seek out the relevant research. would spend hours in library seeking out and ordering research articles/supporting evidence and whenever reading any text these days it's the refernce list I often go to. don't know much about the Otago programme but every Otago PT I've worked with has been on the ball and I'm glad you have excellent tutors.
polymacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Aspiringphysio

Quote:
but every Otago PT I've worked with has been on the ball and I'm glad you have excellent tutors
Well there is hope for me yet.