SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Welcome Guest > Welcome, Bienvenue...
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Welcome, Bienvenue... This forum is intended for a brief presentation of our members.

Old 27-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
flyingbanana

Default Injections of the mind.

Hi,
I am a British anaesthetist who enjoys doing injections. I started doing chronic pain as a trainee in 1991 and was shown how to do facet injections by a very competent boss. The following week he was away and he left me to do these injections. After he had seen the patients eight weeks later he told me that my results had been better than his.

Not long after my head expanded with pride I realised that I couldn't have injected more accurately than he had, so something else was happening as well as the physical injection.

After 21 years of searching I am now convinced that the patients in 1991 had responded to the eager, enthusiastic and rather over-confident young doctor and not the injection itself. I could have been rubbing on snake oil and it would have worked just as well, provided the patient believed in it.

So now I avoid doing injections as I believe that better methods of chronic pain management are possible. I work in a team who are far better at these methods than I. Nevertheless I still hold the Shamanic role offered by Western society to medical doctors so I use my role to support my colleagues. Occasionally I also do physical medicine by picking up a medical diagnosis, but not very often.
FB
flyingbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingbanana For This Useful Post:
dictostelium (27-04-2012)
Old 27-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
ian s

Default injections of the mind ...

Flying, that is a very noble and honest take on your role. I work with Drs who take the opposite tack . Inject if that doesn't work , use acupuncture for 6 weeks if that doesn't work hope that some psych/social counselling may 'inject the mind'.....
I hope to go to the philosophy and ethics group of the pain society meeting- an altogether more nuanced, thoughtful approach and group of people. You might be interested in this group?

ian
ian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,750 Times in 3,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana View Post
Hi,
I am a British anaesthetist who enjoys doing injections. I started doing chronic pain as a trainee in 1991 and was shown how to do facet injections by a very competent boss. The following week he was away and he left me to do these injections. After he had seen the patients eight weeks later he told me that my results had been better than his.

Not long after my head expanded with pride I realised that I couldn't have injected more accurately than he had, so something else was happening as well as the physical injection.

After 21 years of searching I am now convinced that the patients in 1991 had responded to the eager, enthusiastic and rather over-confident young doctor and not the injection itself. I could have been rubbing on snake oil and it would have worked just as well, provided the patient believed in it.

So now I avoid doing injections as I believe that better methods of chronic pain management are possible. I work in a team who are far better at these methods than I. Nevertheless I still hold the Shamanic role offered by Western society to medical doctors so I use my role to support my colleagues. Occasionally I also do physical medicine by picking up a medical diagnosis, but not very often.
FB

Hi FB,
Thank you for that burst of fresh air!
Welcome to SomaSimple.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
byronselorme

FB, I can only imagine the difficulty faced with being in the position you are in and discovering what you have discovered.

There is a an incredible gravitational pull in the opposite direction you are moving / have moved. Patrick Wall comes to mind.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" Richard Feynman
byronselorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
joebrence9

Welcome FB...Whats the story behind the screen-name?
joebrence9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Greg Lehman

OH NO! Where do i now send my patients when conservative care has failed?

Thanks for this insight banana.

Greg
Chiropractor
Greg Lehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,750 Times in 3,045 Posts

It just occurred to me that there may be others like FB who came to the same conclusion, which might be why the Wonderful World of Injecting is opening up to PT.
We've always been the medical world's walking talking smiling cheering on placebo elicitors/accompany-ers for all the patients who no one else takes time for anymore. Why not let PTs inject? What's the harm? They already do that dry needling stuff so they can probably handle needles in general, right? [/brrrrr]
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,851 Posts

Welcome FB.

Sounds like you might be DOA.
Old 27-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,650 Times in 716 Posts

Welcome banana! Good to see you here.
Thanks for the intro. The move away from interventional care to interactive care for pain patients is different for all of us, and yours is certainly an interesting one as well.

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
ste5e
SomaSimpler

Hi FB and welcome to the community. I look forward to finding out even more about you.
Kind thoughts,
Steve

Know pain. Know gain.
ste5e is offline   Reply With Quote