SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > General Discussion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

General Discussion this forum is opened to all registered users of somasimple

Old 25-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
AdamB
SomaSimpler

Default Output = Defense ?

Forgive me for mumbling:

Hope I'm not stating the trite, but could we for the sake of conceptualizing parts of the deep model with our patients and colleagues put an equals sign in between Melzack's concept of "outputs" and Evolutionary Medicine's "defenses"?

When I'm talking to those of my colleagues who is actually a bit interested or at least is looking for new ways of reasoning about our patients problems and how we might go about them, it might be more intuitive for a non-neuro-nerd to grasp the concept of a "defense" instead of an "output". Not all might be familiar with cybernetics and control theory.

That means that the ultimate (in evolutionary terms) key principle behind all types of our interventions will be to "chill the defense" by directly using the patients sensory and cognitive systems which in turn we hope will influence the endocrine, motor and affective systems in a more "stabilising" way.
Old 25-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Diane
Human Primate Social Groomer and Neuroelastician

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,977 Posts

I think that would make sense. It might not overlap exactly, but there would certainly be enough overlap that it could work.
HumanAntiGravitySuit blog
Neurotonics PT Teamblog
Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division (Archived newsletters, paincasts)
Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division Facebook page
@PainPhysiosCan
WCPT PhysiotherapyPainNetwork on Facebook
@WCPTPTPN
Neuroscience and Pain Science for Manual PTs Facebook page

@dfjpt
SomaSimple on Facebook
@somasimple

"Rene Descartes was very very smart, but as it turned out, he was wrong." ~Lorimer Moseley

“Comment is free, but the facts are sacred.” ~Charles Prestwich Scott, nephew of founder and editor (1872-1929) of The Guardian , in a 1921 Centenary editorial

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you, but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." ~Don Marquis

"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists" ~Roland Barth

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."~Voltaire
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Gil Haight

Adam,

"That means that the ultimate (in evolutionary terms) key principle behind all types of our interventions will be to "chill the defense"

I wouldn't have a problem with replacing output with defense if we can accept that a defense is a perfectly normal response. "Chilling the defense" would make no sense at all. The problem as I see it comes when the patient inhibits the process. I understand we could be splitting hairs here, but when it comes to the component of output we define here as ideomotion, nothing bad will occur with its expression.
Gil
Gil Haight is offline   Reply With Quote