SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 13-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,724 Posts
Default The ubiquity of blood

Quote:
“There was blood everywhere.”

Said countless times on TV
Years ago I wrote a short essay titled Warmth. In there I said:

Quote:
In order to truly grow warmer, peripheral vasodilatation should arise from a corrective maneuver, or, at least, one that doesn't contribute to significant and adverse deformation of the nervous tissue. Whenever someone moves in a direction that enhances warmth, you can bet that they're correcting.
Human interest in blood isn’t new, and, I think, the rise in fascination with vampires is another manifestation of that. In our business, moving blood toward a painful part with some manner of externally applied heat is the primary focus in many practices, and often it’s the sum total of what they have to offer. They know “it works” and that’s all they care to understand.

There’s always been some interest in moving the blood or some of its constituents around. Here’s a web site touting a procedure evidently used by a few top athletes. I remember reading that Tiger Woods went for this. I also remember reading that the science was awful.

Anybody else know anything about this?

In any case, our fascination with blood isn’t about to disappear.

It’s everywhere.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Hasn't anybody else here heard of this stuff?

Question: What probably led to George Washington's death in 1799?

(For those outside the US, you're off the hook)
Old 13-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
keithp
SomaSimpler

Thanked 1,440 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Dorko View Post
Question: What probably led to George Washington's death in 1799?
Bloodletting, no?

ETA: This is the first that I have read of this stem-cell stuff for ortho problems...but I have to be skeptical of any program that needs to put a disclaimer at the bottom of a page (Note: Patient testimonials highlighted on the Regenexx website are not indicative of all patient results.) and has no quality studies (that I can easily find) on their site.

Respectfully,
Keith

Last edited by keithp; 13-04-2012 at 11:56 PM.
keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Yes, that was it. Bleeding others in earnest for every conceivable condition (including hemorrhaging) was Galen's idea in about 300 A.D. This finally stopped in 1875.

I noted that this treatment is supposed to reduce pain. How would that work? Who can I ask?
Old 14-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
PatrickL

Thanked 1,071 Times in 402 Posts

Thanks Barrett,
This procedure is being performed at my work. Blood is drawn, incubated overnight with glass beads to produce a natural anti-inflammatory*protein*called Interleukin Receptor Antagonist (IRAP), serum is produced and injected into joint space like a steroid shot.

I have only dealt with one client who had it done. She had significant relief for a few days, then unfortunately had a fall and cracked 4 ribs and banged her pelvis about. She returned to NY 4 months later for a second go at regenokine. She reported that her pain had returned to same intensity, although my observation was that she seemed to move better, had better sitting / lying tolerance than I recalled from 4 months earlier. Regardless of that, she was still in a whole lot of pain. I will follow up with her next week to see how this most recent series went.

Other clients have had very good results. But I'm not convinced of the mechanism of effect. This link shows a that treatment effect is only slightly better than placebo. These clients are paying big big bucks to have this done. It involves a fancy machine, is new to the east coast of USA and therefore seen as cutting edge, it has good publicity with the likes of Kobe Bryant, Freddy couples, Alex Rodriguez all touting it's power. All this would seem to me to add up to a very high expectation of success.
http://www.regenexx.com/2011/12/irap...-a-regenokine/
PatrickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
John W
"Mean Poopy-Pants" Club Founding Member

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
This link shows a that treatment effect is only slightly better than placebo. These clients are paying big big bucks to have this done. It involves a fancy machine, is new to the east coast of USA and therefore seen as cutting edge, it has good publicity with the likes of Kobe Bryant, Freddy couples, Alex Rodriguez all touting it's power. All this would seem to me to add up to a very high expectation of success.
You got your plebeian placebo and then your aristocrat placebo.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,124 Times in 397 Posts

When you spend all the money, even if it didn't work, would you say it didn't? Could you admit to wasting lots of money and being duped? Or is it easier to go with the crowd and report that you are better?

I remember pre-dead man life I would go to a course and say I felt fascia releasing and segments out of alignment, I always questioned, in self silence, if I was really feeling anything but didn't want to think I spent all that con ed money and couldn't feel it so I went with the crowd.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote