SomaSimple Discussion Lists  

Go Back   SomaSimple Discussion Lists > Physiotherapy / Physical Therapy / Manual Therapy / Bodywork > Barrett's Forums > Range of Motion
Albums Quiz PubMed Gray's Anatomy Tags Online Journals Statistics

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanked 2,965 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default A place that never existed

Quote:
(They) were typically rendered in slightly surreal pastels featuring a cottage or house of such insistent coziness as to seem actually sinister, suggestive of a trap designed to attract Hansel and Gretel. Every window was luridly lit as if the interior of the structure might be on fire.

Joan Didion on the paintings of Thomas Kinkade - now selling for a lot of money
In his introductory thread, Brent Cordery writes of living in a region of the US heavily influenced by the teachings of the Postural Restoration Institute (PRI). I began a long and popular thread about that in 2010.

I re-read it today and found many gems (especially around posts #126-132). The reason I’m posting this today is because it’s evident that PRI continues to thrive. Similarly, another commentator said of Kinkade’s work:

Quote:
These are paintings of a place that never existed, though they have clearly attracted millions. The people who lived in these houses probably toiled in furrowed fields until they keeled over at the age of thirty-eight – dead. They represent some hope for suburbia linked to some non-existent past.
See the connection?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
John W
Harmless creampuff

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,053 Posts

I think the average age (or perhaps the median- we have some outliers to account for) of when a PT either finds his demise in the Neuromatrix model or when he conforms with the rank and file into mesodermalism is right around 38.

I was a bit of a late bloomer at around 40, but then I had only been a PT 10 years.

I'm encouraged by some of the youngsters who participate here.
“If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot
be carried on to success.” -The Analects of Confucius, Book 13, Verse 3
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Sheffphysio

Is 32 young?

I think a lot has to do with the influences of a PT in the 12 to 18 months post qualifying. I was lucky to find someone who killed me early.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

From the first, I was doubtful about any relation between strength and pain - and I graduated in '73.

What concerns me is the fact that virtually no faculty (notice I said "virtually") voices any doubts.

A while ago I worked in an SNF that was being prepared for a visit by some "suits" from the corporate office by the supervisor. She spent an evening screwing Thomas Kinkade-like paintings to the walls of the department.

I didn't say anything.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
advantage1

I was 32 when I chose to seriously question the biomedical approach to pain. I am thankful for this site and others that allowed me to correspond with other like minded porfessionals. Prior to that I felt like Winston Smith the lead character of 1984 who interestingly was 39.
advantage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Bas Asselbergs
Physiotherapist

Thanked 1,383 Times in 609 Posts

Graduated at 31 (fourth career) - died at 48....

Pain is a conscious correlate of the implicit perception of threat to body tissue - Lorimer Moseley

We don't need a body to feel a body. Ronald Melzack
Bas Asselbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
zimney3pt
life long learner, clinician, and instructor

Thanked 1,067 Times in 382 Posts

John, very interesting perspective. I joined SS in 2009, I was born in 1970. Looks like I was a little slow to the party as well, but right on pace with Winston Smith.

http://koryzimney.blogspot.com

"Study principles not methods, a mind that can grasp principles will create its own methods." - Gill

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
zimney3pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Ryan A
Student of Hadler

I guess I must have died young, but I was greatly benefitted by a few elective classes on pain and a CI who introduced me to the neuromatrix model, specifically Moseley's "A pain neuromatrix approach to patients with chronic pain." At first I wasn't sure how to incorporate that knowledge into practice, so I kind of pushed it off to the side. That wasn't helped by the fact that I would then go to 2 or 3 other classes that would talk about strength/alignment/fascia/joint (hoarding?) etc. "This stuff has gotta be important! Why else would they keep talking about it?"

During school it's nearly impossible to sift through what is relevant and what is just years of dogma packed into a few power-point lectures, so we all just take everything as truth and try to pack as much of it in over a three-year span as possible. I feel very lucky to have shifted my thinking as early on as I did, I'm not sure if it would have happened if I had gone through 10 years of postural training.
Ryan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Ryan asks (rhetorically):

Quote:
"This stuff has gotta be important! Why else would they keep talking about it?"
Laziness, ignorance, lack of curiosity (and a few other things I feel I'd better not say).

If I'm wrong, SOMEBODY teaching this stuff should answer.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
BrentC

I find your choice of painters interesting Barrett as there are stores here in Omaha that sell Kinkade paintings exclusively. Very popular painter in Nebraska... right along with PRI. Coincidence?

Having lived in the Midwest for the past 20+ years I have found that "rocking the boat" is not something people here are very comfortable with. It is a very NICE culture where voicing doubt is frowned upon. Respect your elders... and your guru's. Trust that they have done all the leg work. Fall in line. People here like lines. Another possibility why PRI has established a root system here.

I was lucky in that I had a clinical rotation while I was a student with David Poulter who started my thinking. Allowed me to ask questions. Allowed me to doubt. Prior to this clinic I thought that the best physical therapist out there was one would could feel small hypomobilities and correct them. I wanted to be that therapist. After this clinical my mindset changed dramatically. One quote that he used often and that I now have hanging on the bulletin board is:
"Do not believe what you have heard.
Do not believe in tradition because it is handed down many generations.
Do not believe in anything because the written statements come from some old sage.
Do not believe in conjecture.
Do not believe in authority or teachers or elders.
But after careful observation and analysis, when it agrees with reason and it will benefit one and all, then accept it and live by it." BUDDHA

Another that I like is:
"Thinking is one of the hardest occupations, that is why so few people choose to do it." -- Henry Ford

Brent Cordery, PT
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrentC For This Useful Post:
advantage1 (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Thanks Brent. This accounts for the behavior of the civilians in Omaha - but the scientists?

Oh, wait, there seems to be a dearth of science in the therapy conmmunity, and that's not confined to the midwest. Remember, I've spent time with therapists in all 50 states.

I always knew that I didn't care for Kinkade's work, but reading what Didion wrote made it clear why. I wonder if that happened to anyone else.

Of course, being critical of a piece of art is different from being critical of another's theory and/or method. The problem is that many therapists see both as impolite for the same reasons.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

I'd never heard of Kinkade's paintings so did a quick google.

Eeek. I'm not sure what they remind me of, but if anyone gave me one it would go straight to the Salvos (charity). Twee is one way to describe them. The lights are on but nobody's home.

Nari
nari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Barrett Dorko
Writer and Clinician

Nari,

I guess he never sold many in Oz. Still, he was and remains extremely popular here. It is estimated that one in twenty US homes have his work somewhere. This includes my own - a cup with silk flowers in it and a cottage on the side my son sent our way years ago. Go figure.

In fact, as I slowly decorate the walls of my office I'm considering putting one of his pieces between the Dali and the Miro. This strikes me as hilarious but I might be the only one to get the joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barrett Dorko For This Useful Post:
Karen L (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Mary C
Chronic Chrawler

I don't know Miro but Kinkade next to Dali is a real choker!

Mary
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
nari
NeuroNut Evangelist

Quote:
I don't know Miro but Kinkade next to Dali is a real choker!
I dunno - it could be a drawcard. Two paintings expressing totally opposite views.
nari is offline   Reply With Quote